Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Question on set breaks in Utah

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question on set breaks in Utah

    I've been working at my job for the last two years. I've never had a scheduled break or lunch. Often when I try and take a break the boss will have me work. This happens on six hour shifts. I've never had a scheduled lunch/dinner break either for these shifts and also on 8 hour shifts. Am I entitled to take them on my own or can I issue a claim? Can they do this because I'm only partime? I work in a small retail store. These are questions I've had for awhile any information to make my work experience better would be nice.

    Heres another qestion. After the week work schedule has been posted, I've gone to work to find out they altered it that same day and expect me to work more than what I thought I was scheduled. Can the employer do that?

  • #2
    Unless you are a minor, then no, breaks are not required.

    Your employer is also allowed to change the schedule if they need to.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      I read on the Utah Labor Law website that you are entitled to a 15 minute break for every 4 hours of work. Full-day worker needs a 30 minute non-paid break but I haven't been able to find what is considered a full-day of work.


      • #4
        The information that ElleMD gave you is correct for adult employees. The regulations that you came across are most likely the regs for minors (child labor).

        Useful links:


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.