This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedule Withholding In TX

I work in a family ran restaurant (not my family) in Texas. Our work week starts on Monday. Our manager does not make out, nor post, the schedule until Sunday night. Usually after 7 P.M. . Then she will withhold the schedule throughtout the week, not letting us (the employees) see it. Is there anything I can do? We have tried talking to her, asking if we could get the schedule a few days in advance so plans could be made. Our employer only gets mad, and responds, "This is the restaurant business, I can't tell you what your schedule is going to be that early in advance." What can I do? If I miss a shift, can she legally do anything about it if the schedule is not out for me to see it?

Scheduling

Unfortunately, there is no legal minimum amount of time required for notifying employees of schedules. The school solution is that employers must make things reasonable, or risk losing employees to competitors who will tell someone in advance when they work--or will do any of a thousand other things to attract and retain a good work force.

Until school solutions are mandated, though, you don't have control over any actions here but your own. You can tell your manager you will leave if things aren't made more reasonable, but be prepared to do it. If you skip a shift in protest, you can be terminated. You can also be terminated if you don't. You may not be giving up much, if you leave.

I'd be for checking other opportunities.

Comment

Your situation is rather unfortunate. Your employer doesn't have to have the schedule out by a certain time. Your employer can also terminate you if you don't show up to work, even if you didn't know what time you had to show up because of the schedule conflict.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X