This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharged in texas

on friday i was discharged from my job. i had only been there 83 days and was treated poorly from the time i walked in the door. the reason for my discharge was that my work performance was not up to the supervisors standards. now my first evaluation was not the best but when i received my 2nd evaluation she said that i had improved greatly. now the thing is that she is vietnamese and i am african american, in this particular place of employment when i was hired 2 other african american people where hired as well, and then another african american shortly after that so out of the 4 of us it is now only 1 person remaining. there was a black gentleman who was hired with me he was let go after about 60 days then i was let go 3 weeks later and the other young lady that came about a month after us was sent to another clinic. now everyone elses that works in this particular area is vietnamese or of asian descent and they get to keep there jobs regardless of tradies, or mistakes that they make. it is like when i first got there i asked her about coming to work early 1 day a week so i could continue to go to school and she told me that education was a priviledge, and that other peolple could do my job if she gave them the chance. now in my 30 day evaluation she filled it with all of these allegations about what other people told her that i said and a majority of them are lies. now within this particular arear of the clinic it is back to only being 2 african americans and everyone else is of asian descent. so i am wanting to know is can i say that i was discharge because i am african american and that i did not perform as well as her vietnamese or other asian employees because i had not been there as long as they had. it is no way possible that i was going to be able to be as proficient as people who had been working there 3 or 4 years. so i feel that i was discriminated against because i am not asian and that is who is predominantly employed there and able to retain their positions.

If you feel that you were terminated because of your race, you are free to file a complaint with the EEOC or your state human rights commission.

However, I would STRONGLY advise that you not tell prospective employers that you were fired because of your race.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

in response i would never do that

no i would never do that what i am most afriad of is that when i try to get a job in this field again is that people are going to look at my employment history and not want to hire me. but my question is do i have a vallid argument or should i let sleeping dogs lie.

Comment

It's really impossible to say. I have a worksite where the workforce is overwhelmingly Hispanic but that doesn't mean that when we discharge an employee of another race it is for a discriminatory reason. No one here can tell you for sure whether discrimination took place where you worked but I can comment that if they only wanted to hire Asian employees, it would have been far easier (and cheaper) simply not to hire employees of other races to begin with.

Comment

what do you mean by easier

what do you mean by easier and cheaper i worked for a local government entity. so the pay rate is the same across the board. i am not understandinh your easier point either?

Comment

Easier for the company to not hire someone they didn't want to hire, than to hire and fire someone they didn't want to hire in the first place. And cheaper because, if they fire an employee for other than "good cause", it will affect their unemployment insurance tax rate.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

sue

Originally posted by monabee33
              on friday i was discharged from my job. i had only been there 83 days and was treated poorly from the time i walked in the door. the reason for my discharge was that my work performance was not up to the supervisors standards. now my first evaluation was not the best but when i received my 2nd evaluation she said that i had improved greatly. now the thing is that she is vietnamese and i am african american, in this particular place of employment when i was hired 2 other african american people where hired as well, and then another african american shortly after that so out of the 4 of us it is now only 1 person remaining. there was a black gentleman who was hired with me he was let go after about 60 days then i was let go 3 weeks later and the other young lady that came about a month after us was sent to another clinic. now everyone elses that works in this particular area is vietnamese or of asian descent and they get to keep there jobs regardless of tradies, or mistakes that they make. it is like when i first got there i asked her about coming to work early 1 day a week so i could continue to go to school and she told me that education was a priviledge, and that other peolple could do my job if she gave them the chance. now in my 30 day evaluation she filled it with all of these allegations about what other people told her that i said and a majority of them are lies. now within this particular arear of the clinic it is back to only being 2 african americans and everyone else is of asian descent. so i am wanting to know is can i say that i was discharge because i am african american and that i did not perform as well as her vietnamese or other asian employees because i had not been there as long as they had. it is no way possible that i was going to be able to be as proficient as people who had been working there 3 or 4 years. so i feel that i was discriminated against because i am not asian and that is who is predominantly employed there and able to retain their positions.
              I am new to this site and not sure how it works yet, but here goes. I am an Anglo in TX. All of the employees at the company I work for are Spanish. They make rude comments about whites. I feel like you do monabee. I feel like I can't do anything right. I am sick of it like you are. I feel we both need to sue. It is racism and they can't get away with it. And you are right monabee, they can't rate you compared to employees who have been there forever.

Comment

Did you want advice? Report the comments to your supervisor, manager, or HR Dept. If you just want to b*tch, take it to a chat room.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X