This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied Uneployment benefits Texas

I was terminated from my job in late January. The reason given was excessive absences in the month of January with a total of 5 absences. My mother was in the ICU for over a week, and I took 3 days off to be with her and help out. A couple of weeks later I baecame ill and took two days off. I had the PTO's to cover the days off, and believe that the family medical leave act should cover the 3 days in which my mother had "overnight stays" in ICU. I have been denied my unemployment benefits due to excessive absences, what are my options, thanks.

How many employees does your employer have within 75 miles of your location?
    How long have you worked for this employer?
    In the calendar year 2010 (that will be close enough for this purpose) did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours?
    Did your employer know the reason for your absences?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Response

My employer has different divisions under same umbrella. Out of my office there were approximately 30 or so. Within 75 miles well over 100 employees. I had definitely worked over the hours you had stated, Worked at a different branch in town and then transfered to site of termination in march of 2010. Employer new of reasons for absences, never requested documentation for Family member in ICU, although could easily be provided, and never requested a doctors note for my illness.

Comment

This is critical. How long have you worked for this employer OVERALL. NOT, just how long at this branch or division, but TOTAL.

There is a reason I'm asking.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Response

I've worked with company since November of 2009 till termination date of January 28th 2011. I had previously worked at company for a different division from Sept. 05 to February 6 2008, if that information is needed as well. I resigned from that position after things soured between my supervisor and myself. At the most recent branch said supervisor was shuffled in to my chain of command and was what I believe the driving force behind termination.
          Last edited by Roy11; 03-27-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Okay, here's the deal.

It sounds as if you and the employer both qualify for FMLA. However, based on your description, I'm not 100% convinced that FMLA was an appropriate response for the first three days you were out, and it definitely wasn't for the second two days. There's nothing I can tell you that will get your unemployment benefits activated; you can appeal for as many times as your state will let you, but there's nothing we can do beyond that. However, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to contact the US DOL and see what they think regarding the FMLA issue. More detail would clarify the situation but I'll leave it to them to ask for them.

Comment

response

I didn't evoke the FMLA because of the absences, my PTO's were used on all 5 absences. I know that they were used because I didn't receive payment for the 5 pto's given per year on my last paycheck. If they accepted my pto's why was excessive absences given as a reason for termination when thats the ammount the company issues. How can they deny my unemployment claims when I used the pto's awarded to me for just reasons?

Comment

PTO and FMLA are not mutually exclusive. The employee can request or the employer can require that PTO be used for FMLA-related absences.

The fact that PTO was used does not automatically make the absences excused.

Comment

Response

So the company can accept my PTO and then fire me for taking it?

Comment

Yes, barring FMLA protection.

Comment

It was apparently because you took too much PTO in one month. (& no
                      time off was charged to FMLA)
                      Last edited by Betty3; 03-28-2011, 08:29 AM.
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X