This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime Texas

currently I work 50 hours a week M-F. My employer requires us to work Saturday. Can an employee refuse to work Saturday or even Sunday. Can an employer fire you or discipline an employee for refusing.

Can you refuse? Sure. Can the employer fire you for refusing? In most cases, yes. Is there a religious reason you don't want to work?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes, they can unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. You
      might want to answer patty's question.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Mandatory overtime is legal in all 50 states; that includes weekend work. Only two states put a limit on how much OT can be required; neither of those states is Texas. No states beyond those two gives an employee the right to refuse overtime without repercussions, and even in those two states the right is implied rather than stated in one of them.

So yes, your employer can require you to work Saturdays (or Sundays) with very limited exceptions and yes, you can be fired for refusing.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X