X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory meeting Texas

Hi.

Been browsing your website and think its a great source of information. Thanks for taking the time to post answers here. Now my question.

My son works part time for a fast food resturant here in Texas. They told him he has to attend a mandatory hygene class at a clinic near his work on his day off. He was told to bring $10.00 for the class and that he would not be compensated for time at the class. Is this legal? I know Texas has some interesting work rules but I thought all employer mandated training was to be paid. He is an hourly worker making min wage, and has been working there for the past 5 months.

Who is mandating the class? The employer, or the state?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

He was told by his supervisor that all employees must attend. That all fast food resturants are requiring this whether or not it is State mandated I don't know at this time. If it is then paying the $10.00 "cover" charge and no compensation is legal? Again he is a min wage worker receiving no tips.

Comment

It makes a difference whether it is state mandated or not. You'll need to find that out before we can answer your question.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agreed. Basically if the employer is mandating, then the time almost certainly must be paid. However if the state is mandating, then the time almost certainly does not have to be paid.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

His supervisor says that it is a Texas State mandatory meeting.

Comment

If it is state mandated, the time almost certainly does not have to be paid.

Comment

So just to be clear that includes the $10.00 fee?

Comment

The $10 does not change the answer in any way.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. You ppl are a great help

Comment

Let me ring in...

While I agree completely with the answers given based on the information at hand, I am not aware of any Texas mandated training for food handlers at fast food restaurants. Most, if not all, cities or counties require food handler certification, but that's not the same thing. (It is my business to know many things about fast food workers.)

Dad, if this is a hill on which your son is willing to die, you may want to suggest that he get a little more information on whether this "class" is required to be licensed or certified for his job, or if it is the employer wanting all employees to meet a standard of training.

By the way, the applicable law here is not Texas law, but is based on the FLSA requirements that work time for training be compensated unless it meets 4 criteria.
                      Last edited by Texas709; 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X