This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TX Salary question Texas

I work for a small real estate development firm and most the employees are either commission based or salary, only the front desk is "hourly". However several of the "salary" people including myself are required to turn in and deduct from our vacation or PTO for any time missed that is for more than 30 min. We never get overtime, we have to turn in for comp time. I thought that the whole reason you were paid salary was to prevent having to keep track of hours and time sheets. Are we really hourly and they are trying to keep from paying us OT or is this just some overly controlling office manager.

While I do not necessarily agree with it in all situations, there is nothing illegal or even uncommon about requiring exempt employees to fill in missing time with vacation or PTO. It does not invalidate the exemption.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

ok, then my next question is shouldn't all employees have to have the same guidelines. I have been at the company 8 years, a fellow co-worked 3. Myself and his wife are both expecting in January & therefore we both are out for doctor appointment on a regular basis. I schedule mine so that i am not out for more than an hour, yet still have to turn in a time off form. ( i am trying to save as much vacation and PTO as possible since we have no type of paid maternity leave). After talking with him, he has never been asked to turn in time off forms for anything, even week long vacations. As far as we know, neither of us have different employment agreements - its a one page sheet that says you get paid X and outline your benefits. All our beneifits are the same.

Comment

Not illegal unless the difference in treatment is BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X