X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lay Off - Pay Final Check Texas Utah Vermont Tennessee

Hi,
    I was laid off from work last Oct 31 , 2008 (efective immediately) because the company is having financial issues. I was working there since March 20, 2008 (7 months and 10 days). I had 10 days vacation per year, but I only worked 7 months, so I would have 6 days earned . Should they pay me these 6 days? They told me they dont pay vacation days but I know my contract says that I have 10 days per year calendar.

Also, what is the limit of time they have to pay me the final check?

Thanks

That depends. Which of the several states listed is the state where you worked?

Not the state where the company is based, the state where you performed the work.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I worked in Texas. I dont know why the post listed 4 states.

Comment

It does that sometimes. I don't know why.

In Texas, it is entirely up to the company's policy if any unused vacation days are payable. In a layoff situation, they have six days from your last day of work to release your final pay.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Are they 6 business days? The Company works on saturdays so If I was laid off oct 31, I count 6 days including saturdays?

Thanks,

Comment

laid off,

a little more info, if you do get vacation threw the company you work for you do get a weeks worth the first year. BUT, you can not use it until youve been with the company for 1 year. sadly to say if your let go within that year you get nothing. its not until youve been there 1 year that you have actually earned it and can use it. its only then if your laid off or give a two week notice (must still work for the two weeks) that your owed the earned wages by the company on your final check. unlike me will post after this.

Comment

That's company policy, not law. No law in any state tells the employer how much vacation time they are required to give employees and only California has any laws about how it can be applied.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X