This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overtime South Carolina

Hi , i currently work for a dentist as an office manager. am i entitle to overtime. Also our assistants and hygienist currently work 2 shifts and paid 7.2 hours for 6.5 hours work. are they entitle to overtime? I also have one assistant that works 1 shift as an assistant but was hired to call ins companies do we have to combine her hours? she is currently paid seperately. I am new to this so please help.

1. You? Maybe so, maybe not. First, are you paid at least $455/week or are you paid on an hourly basis? (depending on this answer, I may need to ask more questions).

2. Assuming your hygienists and assistants are nonexempt (which they most likely are, since they are paid on an hourly basis), overtime is only required when they actually work more than 40 hours in a workweek. Sounds like they are receiving a paid lunch period? That doesn't need to be counted as hours worked.

3. Regarding the assistant doing two tasks? Yes, all hours must be combined when determining whether overtime is due. Is she paid the same hourly rate for all tasks?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

# 1 yes I'm paid hourly
      # 3 SHE IS PAID A DIFFERENT SALARY FOR EACH JOB SHE ALSO CLEANS THE OFFICE ON THE WEEKEND WHEN OFFICE IS CLOSED BUT IS PAID SEPERATELY .

Comment

oops, please turn off your caps lock, thank you.

1. Since you are paid on an hourly basis, you are nonexempt and yes, you must be paid overtime when you work over 40 hours in a workweek.

2. The employee with the multiple tasks? All must be added together (assuming she doesn't have her own cleaning business that she operates as a sole proprietor) for determining the 40 hours threshhold.

See also how overtime pay is calculated when an employee works at multiple rates in the same workweek here:
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR778.115.htm

There is an exception to the above overtime pay calculation; certain rules apply and that exception and the rules are explained here:
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR778.400.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X