This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC law re domestic violence and unemployment

I need advice -anyone please. I was fired from my job when I broke up with my manager because of domestic violence and substance abuse.I tried to resolve the situation with the owner of the company so I didn't lose my job. I did not want to quit -I told the owner that. I asked for employee drug testing and a drug free workplace. Work was fine -he was only violent at home when drunk or high on crack.SC unemployment said I had to prove domestic violence in order to qualify. I sent them 22 pages of arrest records, restraining orders and personal eyewitness accounts from 5 different people.I was threatened every day -hit over 700 times -at a conservative estimate (3 times a week for 5 years) and they still haven't decided if I qualify yet? Whats up with that? He has threatened to kill me and my family on many occasions. Having to write all that, and get eyewitness accounts has been very disturbing for me -bringing the nightmares back. I'm trying to move ahead with my life and forget all this. I know I was stupid for believing he had changed, and documenting it is very difficult for me. Isn't this some form of sexual harrassment? I have no money -SC has been delaying this for almost 6 weeks now -I'm on hold forever when I call, and no one has any answers for me.I really have no idea what to do -If anyone has any answers for me -I would appreciate your input. Thank you so much -Me
    PS -Please -just genuine answers -I really can't cope with anything else at this point.

I have no answers for you on the unemployment; I'm very sorry you're going through this and I wish I could help you with that, but I know nothing about the SC system.

However, if you were fired because you broke up with your manager for ANY reason, yes, that is a form of sexual harassment for which you can file a complaint with the EEOC.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying to me. Can I do that online? I'm in Mass. right now. I had to leave SC cause it wasn't safe for me, and after I was fired, I had nowhere to go.

Comment

http://www.eeoc.gov/charge/overview_charge_filing.html
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you again -I just went there, but there are only 10 employees in the company, so it wouldn't accept it. But you gave me somewhere to start and I appreciate it

Comment

I checked & your former employer would have had to have more than 10 employees for you to file a sexual harassment complaint with the state of SC also. Some states allow a lower # of employees in order to file a complaint than the federal law requires but not SC. (15 employees or more needed federal & state law)
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You might at least discuss the situation with an attorney.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for all your responses. I am just so frustrated with the SC unemployment people. I tried all day to call them again to no avail. I e-mailed and faxed them again today. I don't even understand with 22 pages of documentation , police reports, court records and -eyewitness accounts, what more do they need from me. They've had these documents for 10 days now -and I'm still "unresolved". Its been about 6 weeks now, and I'm down to my last few dollars here. I know I need counseling - This is keeping me focussed on all the bad stuff -I'm having nightmares again -I keep on thinking things like -'Oh I should have told them about the time he dragged me across the floor by my hair' Or about when I tried to call the cops for help, he ripped the phone out and smashed me over the head with it. I think maybe that will be good enough for them. I need to forget this stuff -not keep on reliving it for the unemployment people. Its truly horrible.
                I'm really not looking to sue anyone. That would just keep me focussed in the past -when its really my future I need to be thinking of.I appreciate more then I can say that you have responded to me. Thank you again.

Comment

I wish you the best of luck & hope things work out for you.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X