X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for being Hurt on Job South Carolina

I understand SC is an "at will" state.
    I also understand being hurt on the job when an injury is determined as an "unsafe practice" is reason for termination.

But, can a person be fired for getting hurt doing a job they have no qualifying skills or have been trained for?

My son was hired through a temp agency as a "material handler". For a few months, all he did was "pick and pack" apparel. A couple of weeks ago, he was put into another position, helping the maintenance crew putting up racks. While hammering in a rack, the hammer slipped, and came back, hitting his arm. He was sent to the doctor, no broken bones, drug test came out fine. When he came back to work the same day, his supervisor told him he was fired. His reasoning was "unsafe practices".

His work history says nothing of any "maintenence experience". He was not trained for any of this.

I know, I'm a mother, and therefore may have a "biased" opinion. But based on the information I was given, is there any recourse for this?
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X