This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to know if this is even legal very long South Carolina

heres some of the story. this is about my husbands job. he works in a video game store as 3rd key. up until 2 weeks ago my husband was working 35-40 hours a week.

he blew the whistle on his boss. he needed to he was consistently late and even no called no showed a shift. so the boss retaliated and cut my husband to 8 hours for the week.

back story
    my husbands boss has been known to schedule my husband for shifts up to 8 hours in the store alone. i know thats not legal. we were friends until feb10,2009 big mistake i know. so he has brought personal into the store.
    thats obvious. he has other employees calling him if my husband is any where near the store when hes off and what we did. my husband has gone to hr. the district manager is useless. we are heading into the third week of this and no results. the vibe of the store is hostile and their numbers have tanked.
    my husbands boss became very nasty towards my husband after the friendship ended which was his doing. not ours. he has been out right and mean to me the few times he has seen me. my husband needs his hours and pay back. with the economy the wait it is getting a new job is almost impossible.

who else besides the companies human resources can my husband go to for results. this is childish and insane. he is using excuses for why my husband gets no hours yet we pushed cant give an example or produce a write up form for any incident. this guy is a loser and shouldnt be in management

who can we contact to resolve this like tomorrow?
    i am tired of this my family cant live like this

"Blowing the whistle" on a boss' attendance is a career-limiting move. It is not illegal to reduce the hours of, or even fire, an employee who does so.

Do you have a cite to the law that prohibits an employee for working alone as your state? If there is such a law and your husband had reported a violation to the proper regulatory authority (or perhaps to an internal ethics line), whistleblower laws may very well have protected him.

Unfortunately, "childish and insane" management style is not illegal. If HR chooses to accept this manager's actions, there isn't really anything he can do.

He should file for partial unemployment benefits immediately.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

we are already getting unemployment

whistle blower laws do protect him

your an idiot too.

store managers should and are held to a higher standard. how can you expect your people to show up on time if the boss doesnt come in on time.

8 hours alone is illegal period in a retail store. thats means working alone as in no one else comes in at all and yes it was reported properly

Comment

Originally posted by jennanderton2006 View Post
        8 hours alone is illegal period in a retail store. thats means working alone as in no one else comes in at all and yes it was reported properly
        May I ask what the law is? Thank you.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

jenn, if I see you calling the responders idiots once more, your account will be suspended. Whether you agree with them or not, they are giving you their time and experience for free and are deserving of respect.

Please post links to the laws which say that firing your husband for reporting his boss's attendance is illegal; also to the ones that prohibit an employee from working alone.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by jennanderton2006 View Post
            Unless SC has a "law" that no one is aware of that statement is just blatantly false.

OSHA has provisions for "2 men rules" but they are industry specific, electrical, confined space, sewer work etc.
            "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

I realize this is over 2 months old but felt like adding something. I don't know of any LAW, but a lot of retail companies have a RULE about letting people work alone. If there are two people there, the chances of internal theft are greatly reduced. I've never heard of a law about it though, if there is there are a ton of gas stations who would be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltloddone View Post
                I realize this is over 2 months old but felt like adding something. I don't know of any LAW, but a lot of retail companies have a RULE about letting people work alone. If there are two people there, the chances of internal theft are greatly reduced. I've never heard of a law about it though, if there is there are a ton of gas stations who would be in trouble.
                Company policies do not rise to the standard of law.
                Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltloddone View Post
                  There could very well be retail stores that have this as an internal company rule/policy but there is no actual law that requires it.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X