This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Cut and New Format end job in South Carolina

I'm glad we missed getting all that snow!
    Last edited by vino mama; 03-02-2009, 11:19 AM.

South Carolina does not require the payout of unused accrued vacation pay on termination. You can certainly ask for it, but they have no legal requirement to give it you. In many cases in states where there is no requirement to pay it, company policy may govern, so the question would be does the company have a policy of paying it out. If not, you may be out of luck on that.

No state requires the payout of unused sick time.

You would have to have your non-compete reviewed by a local attorney to determine whether your termination voids it or not, along with anything else you're asked to sign.

Every time an employee leaves an employer, it's a termination, either voluntary or involuntary. I would think that, in your industry, most employers know that directions change and people are forced to leave. Letters of recommendation should be on letterhead, however, it's more important to be able to have individuals who will speak in person to potential employers.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Budget Cut and New Format end job in South Carolina

I think we might get snow!
      Last edited by vino mama; 03-02-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I've never heard the phrase "benefit time payment" before, but it's likely the payout of accrued time off, to wit, vacation; is that a phrase used in your contract?

Yes, severance IS a gift, unless your contract guaranteed it under the circumstances surrounding your termination.

Ask your attorney about a cease and desist letter regarding them continuing to use your voice; again, your contract may or may not have addressed this.

As you can see, all of these questions are issues of contract law, not wage and hour law.
        Last edited by Pattymd; 03-02-2009, 06:06 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X