This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truck driver percentage wage laws South Carolina

I am a truck driver. I am paid 25% of a load. My employer refuses to show us a break down and show us proof of our pay. In other words on our pay check every week we see a load number and beside it what they paid us. It does not disclose how much they got paid so we will know if we did get our 25%. we are told to trust them on the math. I would like to know if we are protected in Sc against this practice. Several drivers have found proof that the company was stealing up to $150 per load from there check. When the employees brought this to managements attention they were told to clean out there truck. Are we protected against this practice and if so what law or code is it that protects us? I was terminated 24 hours after finding a $100 mistake on my pay and brought it to managements attention. I would like to know if I can pursue this further but I want to know what laws I am protected under and if I can get them to show me a break down of all loads I have ever ran for them to see how much money I am owed. Also, this company charges us [the drivers] a fuel surcharge for the loads but we are company drivers not owner operators. they do this so they do not have to charge the customer. be it, it is only $20 a load but I have pulled over a thousand loads for them in 2 years. that is $4K (estimate)

No law especially comes to mind that would require the employer provide all the detailed documentation. This is specific enough that you might want to call the state DOL and see if you can get them to give an opinion.
    (803) 896-4840
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I called and spoke with a very nice gentleman. He has forward the concern to the investigation department. However, his advice was to send a certified letter to the employer requesting a break down of proof of pay. if that does not get it done, to file a small claims case in which they would disclose the documents in court. I have typed (thank you bill gates for office 2007) the letter and will send it out certified today.

Comment

That was going to be my next suggestion. In the long run, however, it looks like a subpoena may be your recourse of last resort.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I have found over my 20 year career, truck drivers are limited in protect they have from scandalous employers. It is all to common for a driver to use the court system to get our pay. We are place in a category that do not get the protection many others would have. It is a shame that drivers are treated the way we are by many employers. We sacrafis so much to support our families and America. Drivers are the back bone of America but we get the shaft to many times. Just venting a little frustrations. Thanks for listening and for your help.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X