This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROMOTION South Carolina

I am a Fireman in the state of South Carolina. I am seeking information for my options to address fair promotion standards in my department. My concerns are as follows:

Ø Over tens years in the department with no history of reprimands.
    Ø Passed written and oral exam with a high score.
    Ø Exceeds all required trainings and a member of a special team.
    Ø No annual evaluation conducted in over 6 six years.
    Ø Informed there weren’t any deficiencies in job performance.
    Ø Served as Acting Capt. for over 7 years without any negative feedback.

Information provided for the time period the test is valid is inconsistent. There are two available slots still open, there are two qualified staff available. The two staff available and qualified for the position are minorities. Although both sought to get an explanation to the status of the slots, no logical response has been given. I was even told to my face that only one of the two minorities would have a chance at being promoted.

What are my options?

Are you a member of a union?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

YES I AM TRYNG NOT TO GO THAT ROUTE

Comment

I'm unclear what your exact question is.

Departmental policy (if written) may be a guidance in how promotion decisions are made.

In some, test score is the only deciding factor. In others, it is one factor of many which may include input from Lts, CPt and other officers. Without knowing your departmental policies,its hard to know how to respond.

I have helped the FD develop their test making sure that questions are clear and the scenarios asked in the oral portion have the correct set of rsponses. I sit in on the oral portion, in the event there are later questions. I dont sit in on the officer boards.
        The testing announcement clearly tells how long the test results are good for and how much each section of the test is worth.

Have you been given any of that iniformation?
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by SMKEATER View Post
          YES I AM TRYNG NOT TO GO THAT ROUTE
          No need to yell.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

That is just the point there is no guide lines to go by and it very hard to explain as to how this is done in my dept. U take a test not knowing how long it is good for. one man the chief interveiw u if u pass the written test. There are no interveiw of your supervisor as to your work performance no evaluation report has been done on u in years .Then to top it off the chief comes to u and flat out states that he will be promoting this many people and do something differnt.When ask for a metting with him using your chain of command he does not reply to your request.When i did get to see him to my shock I was given another test orally of the test i did written and ask if i really wanted the job..This is confusing i know this is why i am trying to find out if i should seek legal help.

Comment

Well, i understand your frustration. However unless promotion is covered by a collective bargaining agreement, there is no law that says how a person may be selected for promotion.

Unless the promotion method discriminates based on race, age,gender, national origin, religion or any other of the applicable Title VII reasons ,then a person could be selected for promotion based on flipping a coin.

Its not good business practice but its not illegal.

If you've been there 10 years, has it always been done this way?
              I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X