Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

exempt employee working under 40 hours per week South Carolina South Carolina

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • exempt employee working under 40 hours per week South Carolina South Carolina

    I have been working as an exempt employee.

    When I left, my employer wanted me to remain available to work on an as needed basis over the next six months. I agreed but stated he should put something in writing. He procrastinated and would never turn in my notice to the HR department.

    I worked off and on for him the following three months and continued to receive direct deposit. Because I had worked the first three months for him without pay, I believed that the system was catching me up. Up until a week ago, I was still working for him.

    At the end of the week, he called me and stated that the finance manager, for the department, had pick up on the fact that I was still receiving direct deposit. I indicated that I thought it was as I stated above. Now he wants me to pay back the monies even though I was still working for him during the time.

    My question: As an exempt employee, can it go both ways? You may have to work over 40 hours and not be paid overtime, but you can also work less than 40 hours and still be paid your monthly wages?

    Thanking you in advance, KiKo

  • #2
    Kiko, it's not necessarily to double post. All the responders here read all the forums. I just responded in the other forum in which you posted.

    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.