X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied UC Claim Pennsylvania

I was fire from my job of 8+ years.
    I filed for UC and was denied by the Dept of Labor.
    Their findings were that "there is a sideline business eligibility issue."

2 Years ago a friend and I created an LLC with the intent of investing in real estate. Primarily buying rental units. We have 3 such units and would like to get more.
    Per Sec 402: I was working in regular employment while engaged in the sideline business. The earnings from my regular employment exceeded the net profit from the side line business. (We've been running at a loss in the start-up stages)

The dispute is the final claim where they state "the claimant substantially increased his involvement in self employment following the loss of his regular job"

This is based off of a phone call I received. They asked me if I would be increasing my involvement in the business. I said yes. My thinking was that I lost my job and would have more free time to invest in the business. But the reality is there is nothing more of substance I can do for the business. A property manager handles the tenants and maintenance. Other than searching for the next property, which I did while employed, there is nothing else I can do.
    Plus, since I lost my job, it is harder to get financing, so I can't purchase a new property even if I find it. So if anything my involvement has decreased.

I have talked to a UC attorney. He said I should be able to win the appeal.
    Would you agree?
    How long from when I appealed (2 weeks ago) will the hearing be?
    IF/When I do win the appeal, will I receive UC back payment from the time from when I first filed for UC or just from when I won the appeal?

There's no way we can know if you will win or not - it will be the
    "state's" decision. Since you have a lawyer, you might want to ask them
    all of your questions.

Good luck.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Here's a link to UI appeals Pa.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal.../appeals/10320
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X