Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if a paid vacation day puts an employee over 40 hours for the week? Pennsylvania

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if a paid vacation day puts an employee over 40 hours for the week? Pennsylvania

One of my employees recently missed a day of work and asked to take a paid day for this. He worked around 34 hours total on the other 4 weekdays. Since a full 8 hours of vacation pay would have put him over 40 hours and this would necessitate 2 hours of overtime pay, we gave him only 6 of his 8 vacation hours and retained the balance for another week. He and his wife didn't agree with this.
    Was I within my rights to do this?

Overtime only has to be paid on hours actually worked over 40 in
    the workweek. In no state is overtime calculated on hours paid, only on hours actually worked. (unless a legally binding employment contract or CBA says different)

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/main.htm
    Last edited by Betty3; 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM. Reason: add link
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And yes, the employer is legally allowed to charge fewer hours of vacation/sick/PTO than were actually used so that the employee is not paid for more than 40 hours in the workweek.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the responses!

Comment

Agree with Patty though in your case you could have paid the time over 40 hrs. at
          the regular rate of pay (no overtme).* That seemed to be your concern.
          *minus a binding employment contract to the contrary
          Last edited by Betty3; 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

[QUOTE=Betty3;1144563That seemed to be your concern.
            *minus a binding employment contract to the contrary[/QUOTE]

Or company policy.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

He should be happy, he took a full day off (8 hours) and was only charged 6 hours of vacation.

He has two more to take, paid. Pretty good deal in my opininion.

Vacation hours do not factor into the overtime calculation in PA. OT is only on hours worked over 40.

Some companies do include vacation and holiday in the OT calculation, but there is nothing that requires the employer to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by PrJeff View Post
                Some companies do include vacation and holiday in the OT calculation, but there is nothing that requires the employer to do so.
                Unless there is a binding employment contract or CBA requiring them to do so.

Comment

Vacation hours do not factor into the overtime calculation in PA.

Or any other state, either.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X