This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wage garnishment Pennsylvania

Creditor obtained judgment in another state.

Has order for garnishment of wages.

Sends order to PA employer requesting garnishment. Is PA employer required to follow order? I thought wages were exempt from garnishment in PA?

TIA

Originally posted by LaborLawNJ View Post
    Creditor obtained judgment in another state.

Has order for garnishment of wages.

Sends order to PA employer requesting garnishment. Is PA employer required to follow order? I thought wages were exempt from garnishment in PA?

TIA
    You might be right. PA is not my state so I looked it up in the BNA payroll library and came up with the following. This is not definitive but seems to support what you said. You might want to try to look up the referenced statutes and see if those help.

Who issued the order? A PA court or an out of state court?

Amount Subject to Withholding
    Garnishment is permitted only for:
    • delinquent taxes,
    • higher education assistance loans,
    • damages awarded to a creditor-landlord arising out of a residential lease, or
    • board or lodging for four weeks or less.

Reference Citations
    42 Pa. Cons. Stat. §§ 8123, 8124, 8127
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Judgment is from out of state court, employee works and lives in PA.

Do you think this changes things?

Thanks for the references.

Comment

Originally posted by LaborLawNJ View Post
        Do you think this changes things?
        Not a clue. PA is not my state, and state law does not agree on much of anything. I would suggest that maybe you websearch the PA law references I cited.

Comment

DAW, I think child support is subject to garnishment in PA too, although I recognize it isn't included in the reference you found. I'm not sure why. I have had several employees and mental health clients who have been garnished for delinquent child support.
          I know the OP asked about a "creditor," and I admit I don't know about that. But I just wanted to include for readers that wages are routinely garnished for delinquent child support in PA, from in-state and out-of-state courts.

Here's an official PA site that mentions it, so it must exist:
          https://www.humanservices.state.pa.u...tionIdBottom=3
          Last edited by TSCompliance; 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM. Reason: found link

Comment

100% of wages are exempt from a creditor garnishment in Pa.

Pennsylvania: GENERAL GARNISHMENT EXEMPTIONS - 100% of wages, certain pensions, retirement accounts & Keogh plan under certain circumstances and $300.00.

There are some exceptions where they can garnish wages - ie ..taxes, child support, Federal student loans, court ordered fines or restitution for debt incurred by a criminal act.
            Last edited by Betty3; 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM. Reason: add add'l. info
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
              DAW, I think child support is subject to garnishment in PA too, although I recognize it isn't included in the reference you found. I'm not sure why.
              Agreed, although technically under the federal CCPA law, a child support order is not a "garnishment" per se. Of course, neither a tax withholding order, so I am not certain why BNA is wording it that way.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X