X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbg
    replied
    1.) The state in which the employee lives and works

2.) Based on what little information we have it is not impossible that he is correctly classified as exempt. The fact that he supervises between 2-4 people and that he has the power to hire and fire both suggest that he is exempt and not eligible for overtime. It doesn't prove it, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that he should be classifed as non-exempt.

3.) If he is correctly classified as exempt, it doesn't matter.

4.) Yes.

Leave a comment:

• GinaG
    started a topic PA Non-Exempt Wages Questions

PA Non-Exempt Wages Questions

I think after reviewing other posts I have found the answers to my questions but would like to clarify. First, some background info. My brother is employed as a construction supervisor (20+ yrs.) for a company headquatered in Pennsylvania although he lives in Indiana. Extensive state-to-state travel is required for his position. He supervises a crew of 2 - 4 employees and makes the hire/fire decisions. He is paid for the entire day even though on rare occassions he may only work a few hours. However, when he was recently off work due to illness he was required to use his vacation time instead of being paid his normal weekly salary. The company has taking bids and awarding many of the jobs to subcontractors (who cost less than their own construction employees) and temporarily laying off their construction division crews.

Thank you.

My questions are:

1. Which states' labor laws govern in a situation where the employee lives in one state and the company is headquatered in another?

2. Due to his job classification am I correct in assuming he is non-exempt and therefore should receive overtime pay for any hours over 40 each week?

3. Are the hours he spends traveling from his home to the job site and back home (which may take anywhere from 4 - 24 hours one-way) considered part of the weekly hours worked? If so, are the travel work hours calculated for just going to the job or for round trip?

4. Am I correct in assuming it is legal for the company to out-source work even when they have company employees available and willing to do the jobs?
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X