X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beth3
    replied
    Originally posted by dave88819 View Post
    I had a friend at work who called out sick and was told by the supervisor that he couldn't. Is this allowed.
    It's also possible that there is more to the story than you know, such as that your friend has been frequently absent from work and the supervisor has had enough.

Leave a comment:

• ScottB
    replied
    Well, yes and no.

The employee can call out sick.

The employer can then fire the employee.

There are some exceptions. I expect none of them apply to this case.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Unless the illness was protected under FMLA, yes, it's allowed.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the action taken by the employer, but outside of FMLA an employee does not have a guaranteed right under the law to sick time.

Leave a comment:

• dave88819
    started a topic Calling out sick Pennsylvania

Calling out sick Pennsylvania

I had a friend at work who called out sick and was told by the supervisor that he couldn't. Is this allowed.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X