This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrassment or Not? Pennsylvania

I have been working for the same company for 2 years, about a year ago my husband left the same company to go and work for a major competitor. At the time my husband left they knew who he went to work for and continue to allow me to work for the company.

Now a year later because my husband has been relocated back to the area they have told me to sign a code of conduct form or be terminated.

I feel that I am being singled out and have been harrassed over this. I am over 40 and female.

Can this be considered harrassment?

Not even close. First of all, legal harrassment exists when you are adversely treated BECAUSE of your age, gender, religion, etc. or if it is sexual harrassment. I see no indication in your post that you are being asked to sign the document because you are over 40 and female. You are being asked to sign the document because, I assume, the employer is concerned about a conflict of interest and dissemination of confidential company information if your husband goes to work for a local competitor. That's a smart thing for the company to do.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 07-02-2006, 11:58 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Either you posted this on another forum last week, or someone with the exact same situation, right down to the very last detail, did.

It was not harassment then, and it is not harassment now. It was not illegal then, and it is not illegal now. Nothing has changed; nor will it have changed by the next time you post it. Your employers are within their legal rights to do this; it is not only not illegal or harassment or discrimination or anything else of the sort, but it is a smart business move. You are the only one being asked to sign it, because you are the only one married to the employee of a major competitor.

I asked you this on the other forum and you didn't answer; would you rather be asked to sign a code of conduct form, or be fired? Either would be legal.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Either you posted this on another forum last week, or someone with the exact same situation, right down to the very last detail, did.
        Must be the one I don't go to any more.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Maybe they just procrastinated on doing their homework.

Comment

No, Patty, one that you've never posted on. I think only Beth and I, from this board, post there.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X