Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Shift Differential Pay in PA Pennsylvania Pennsylvania

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shift Differential Pay in PA Pennsylvania Pennsylvania

    I recently started working the 12:30 to 9 pm shift with my company and they pay a 6% Shift differential for working this shift. But I noticed when I received my Holiday pay for the Memorial Day week I was not paid my shift differential for the holiday. My Manager said he was unaware that they would not pay for the shift differential for holiday or vacation time, but other employees told me they have never been paid the shift differential for those times. Can my employer do this? Since the 12:30-9 is my regular shift I feel I should be paid the 6% shift differential pay for holidays and vacation time. Otherwise I feel I am being penialized for when the company is closed due to a holiday or when I take vacation time given to me by my company. Are there any laws on this? I searched but could not find anything beyond the minimum wage law.

  • #2
    You are not entitled by law to a shift differential at all; you are certainly not entitled to one for time you did not even work. It is perfectly legal for your employer to only pay you a shift differential for time you actually worked. And no, there are no laws addressing this; it is entirely up to the employer whether to offer a shift differential and if so, for what hours they will offer it.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.