X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Federal/State Posters at Workplace Wisconsin

Hello --

I work for a the a certain city in the state of Wisconsin. My employer does not have any employee's right to know poster, minimum wage posters, minor labor law posters, fair employment posters, chemicals exposed to posters, etc., etc. To simply put it: there are no signs at my workplace that informs employees of our rights/hazards/etc. I've talked to my supervisor about it, but she doesn't seem to know anything. What options do I have to get the required signs up, and which signs are exactly required to be posted? To clarify what my workplace is, I work at the city pool where they have all sorts of wonderful pool chemicals I am exposed to which I have no idea what they are.

You can contact the federal and state Depts. of Labor.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You need to be provided access to any and all MSDS's (Material Safety Data Sheets) for any chemicals you are required to work with and/or could be exposed to. If there are none I would suggest asking politely, if nothing happens then contact OSHA, I don't recall if WI has a state plan but you can find out. If not find the Fed. OSHA office closest to you.
      "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

I agree. Having a MSDS for every chemical in the building is not an option - it is required of every employer. As the other poster suggested - try to settle this within the company. If that doesn't work - call OSHA. Actually, on OSHA's website (osha.gov), there is a handy online complaint form.

Comment

You can contact the fed. & state Depts. of Labor for min. wage, child labor, etc. posters. OSHA has the info/posters on health/safety issues.

The state of Wi. Dept. of Workforce Development enforces state safety requirements that relate to public employees. Private employees are protected under federal OSHA.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The MSDS is a must. Every employee must know where There's no getting around that.

I am curious as to whether or not the city has the law posters posted somewhere else, perhaps a main office?
            Last edited by CatBert; 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM. Reason: Added to MSDS comment
            Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
              The MSDS is a must. Every employee must know where There's no getting around that.

I am curious as to whether or not the city has the law posters posted somewhere else, perhaps a main office?

Its really not difficult. I was the Chemist for a Rubber products manufacturer and part of my job was to keep unpdated MSDS book(s) that were available to anyone who wished to see them. I kept them in my office which had plant access. I often times used them myself when needed and would walk book(s) to any person who wished to see them as needed. The chemical manufacters supply MSDS with each delivery so updating these books are easy. Any company not having such access is in open violation of OSHA standards and should be reported. OSHA has a reporting hotline but I do not know what it is off hand
              http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X