X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of First Aid Responders - GA Georgia

Everyone,

As you know, 29 CFR 1910.151 requires the use of first aid responders when other medical responders are not available in 3-4 minutes.

My question is "How many responders do I need?" I know some of my decision is going to based upon the configuration of my facility and the processes taking place. Has anyone seen or established a ratio of employees to responders? e.g. 50:1, 100:1

Thanks,

MikeCJ

Are you getting 3-4 minutes from an interpetation? Because I don't recall seeing a timeframe defined that well in 1910.151 Haven't looked in a while so I may be forgetting something.

3 -4 minutes sounds way too agressive a timeframe as virtually no EMS service in the country can even be on scene that quickly unless you're real close to their station. Especially if they start counting from the moment of injury.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...able=STANDARDS (29 CFR 1910.151)

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=25741 - OSHA's interpretation of requirements

The letter further explains: "While the first standards do not prescribe a number of minutes, OSHA has long interpreted the term 'near proximity' to mean that emergency care must be available within no more than 3-4 minutes from the workplace. Medical literature establishes that, for serious injuries such as those involving stopped breathing, cardiac arrest, or uncontrolled bleeding, first aid treatment must be provided within the first few minutes to avoid permanent medical impairment or death. Accordingly, in workplaces where serious accidents such as those involving falls, suffocation, electrocution, or amputation are possible, emergency medical services must be available within 3-4 minutes, if there is no employee on the site who is trained to render first aid."

OSHA does exercise discretion in enforcing the first aid requirements in particular cases. For example, OSHA recognizes that in workplaces, such as offices, where the possibility of such serious work-related injuries is less likely, a longer response time of up to 15 minutes may be reasonable.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Mike

More importantly than whether you are required or not, if your employer has decided this is the direction you are going to protect employees by providing internal response-then go for it! You can still call 911 and make the initial response with trained responders. What I recommend: you should make a reasonable effort to obtain your desired information from a source demonstrating generally recognized Best Practices, such as a local VPP support group in your region.

Don't focus on the ratio; but how to determine the number of responders per shift based on operations, staffing patterns and other seemingly unrelated issues such as attendance. VPP companies can share their decision-making matrices from already having gone through what you are attempting to do!!!

There are several different VPP Participant groups, most are loosely organized around the OSHA geographic "regions." Contact your local OSHA office to ask for contact information for your nearest VPP Participant organization.

You DON'T have to be a VPP company to participate!

Good luck.
        Last edited by Scotteedawg; 07-31-2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X