Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oregon Gas Stations Able to get away with it????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Gas Stations Able to get away with it????

Ok, I am 17 years old and have worked at the same gas station or about 9 1/2 months. In that time period, I have gotten no breaks, lunches (paid or otherwise,) resting periods, etc. And, just recently, the owner charged me for an overfill that he pretty much just wrote down on a piece of paper. I have had overfills before, but have NEVER been charged for them, even after I said that I would because it was my fault. I make minimum wage.The gas station across the street is owned by the same person as us. Our gas station is CONSTANTLY busy, with little more than 3-5 minutes downtime in entire 5-8 hour shifts. If someone doesn't show up on shift, then the person on shift MUST STAY until someone comes. So, saturday, May 6th was my junior prom, and i had scheduled to have the whole day off 3-4 weeks ahead of time. May 5th, however, my manager calls me and says someone just quit on him and he needs me to work 7-2. i told him i could stay til 1, and he said fine. mind you, i have made plans to be at my date's at 3. so, i get to work, and everything goes fine until 1, when, no one shows up, so i call my manager and he says "im out of town. i cant deal with it." leaving me with a crowded gas station with angry customers, everything going wrong, and a phone list of possible people to work. well, 1:20, the kid shows up with an injured release. so, i called my manager, who still has done nothing to help my situation. so, i called everyone on the list, and no one answers. so, i call my manager, who is now screening his calls against my phone. so, my dad, after being worried, came down to the station, and called my manager from a pay phone and told him that i was supposed to be out of there at 1, it is now 2:30. (my date lives 40 minutes away.) so, manager calls me and tells me that he found someone, RIGHT AFTER my dad chewed him out. So, finally, at 3:00, my replacement arrives, and i get to my dates house an hour late. So, my question is, could they get in trouble for a) not giving me breaks, b) making me pay for mistakes, c) trapping me into staying to work for an extra 2 hours, even though i had asked for the day off? I heard from someone that gas stations can get away with the no breaks thing. please shed some light on this for me!

Taken from the Oregon Labor and Industries web site:

Under Oregon law, the typical adult employee whose work period is eight hours long must receive at least a 30-minute unpaid meal period and two paid ten-minute rest breaks. Following are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions regarding meal period and rest break rules.

As far as the employer charging you for overfills is illegal without your authorization and you should file a claim for the deductions and the meal/rest breaks. Your employer can dictate your hours as there are not any limits that a 17 year old can work.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

alright, cool, thanks. but is it illegal that they TRAPPED me there for 2 hours? and someone who works for an oil company (truax) told me that gas stations can get away with no breaks, since there are only 2 people on duty (except for 7-9, 9-10 weekends and 6-8:30 weekdays). is that true?

Comment

also, how would i file a claim for that? my mom anonymously wrote to the labor board in Albany (where we live.) should i bring that overfill (which looks like he just plugged in some numbers. its not even dated!) to the owner and tell him that the law states he cant do that?

Comment

call me crazy

but i would bring to attention to the owner that the manager is illegally charging you for overfills,because you never signed a paper saying that you would have overfills deducted from your pay,nor are you getting your lunch or breaks as specified in oregon labor laws. Maybe the owner is not aware of this and since he would be held financially responsible if someone were to sue the company,maybe he would act on this information. Sorry for the run on sentence lol! Good luck to you kid,you sound like a hard worker!! Your parents should be proud!!

Comment

Originally posted by turbowray
            but i would bring to attention to the owner that the manager is illegally charging you for overfills,because you never signed a paper saying that you would have overfills deducted from your pay,nor are you getting your lunch or breaks as specified in oregon labor laws. Maybe the owner is not aware of this and since he would be held financially responsible if someone were to sue the company,maybe he would act on this information. Sorry for the run on sentence lol! Good luck to you kid,you sound like a hard worker!! Your parents should be proud!!
            thanks, and they are proud of me. the only problem with that though is that the owner IS the one doing all of this. i need a higher power that would step in. am i able to sue upon quitting for this stuff? what should i do????

Comment

hmmmm

hate to say it hon,but a senior member would be more qualified to answer this and i would hate to be responsible for you retaining a lawyer and spending lots of money on this....i would think the labor board would make sure you get reimbursed if they find this is wrong,no lawyer needed....based on what the manager or owner wrote on that piece of paper before you payed up,he may not have written enough for the labor board to actually prove that this was being done? Will other workers go with you,past and present,to the labor board reguarding the overfills and lack of legal breaks? It may make the labor board more apt to believe this,even if the paper doesnt say,x has to pay y because of an overfill...good luck to you!!!

Comment

Deducting overfills from your paycheck is a violation of Oregon law, and you can file a claim with the state Bureau of Labor and Industries.
                http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/TA/...Tadeduct.shtml
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

patty dumb question

well i guess the only dumb question is one that is not asked lol....i was under the impression that unless you are 18+ that there is laws pertaining to how many hours a minor could work per day or per week since they attend school also? Can you enlighten me? My daughter works and still attends school and i have seen her work after she gets out of school for 8 and a half hours so her day consists of 6 am to 10 pm,plus doing homework,she is exhausted and ends up sleeping in and being late to school and her grades are being affected....anything you could shed light on would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Oregon has a lot of information on the child labor laws here:
                    http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/TA/T_FAQ_Stw.shtml
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thank you patty!!!

I will study it and find the answers i need for my daughter!!

Comment

There is a limit to the # of hours you work as a 17-year-old

Hinkle:

There is a LIMIT (44) to the hours you can be required to work as a 17-y-o. Perhaps this should be pointed out to your employer when you're asked to stay after your scheduled shifts when replacements don't show up. Also, I'd advise 'screening' your calls so that you don't get asked to come in when you're not available (like everyone else seems to be doing at the station).
                        -----
                        Work Hours for Minors
                        Hours of work for 14- & 15-year-olds when school is in session:

* Not during school hours.
                        * 3 hours per day, 8 hours on non-school days.
                        * 18 hours per week maximum.
                        * May work between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
                        * Fourteen- and 15-year-olds are not allowed to be employed during the hours their school is in session.

Hours of work for 14- & 15-year-olds when school is not insession (from June 1 through Labor Day):

* 8 hours per day.
                        * 40 hours per week maximum.
                        * May work from 7am to 9pm.

Hour of work for 16- & 17-year-olds, any time of the year:

* Any hour of the day.
                        * 44 hour per week maximum.

Comment

tyvm!!

Thank you very much for your answers worker in oregon!! Much appreciated!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X