This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work from home - Oregon

I work from home, not contract work, for one company. I have a schedule for days I must be available to work. My question is "how long must I wait to find out IF I am working each day?"
    They currently say if we have not been contacted by 2pm, that we can assume we have the day off. But that's 7 hours of waiting (I get up at 7am, ready to work by 7:15) when I can't do anything, because I MIGHT be working that day. Then, if the work does come in, I am expected to stay up late to finish it by the next morning. So, I am stuck at home all day and night. Is this legal, or is there some cut-off for when they can stop making us wait?

There is no "cutoff". However, this time is "engaged to be waiting" and it is compensable.
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.15.htm

If you are not getting paid for this time, you can file a claim for unpaid wages and unpaid overtime (if the waiting time + the work time exceeds 40 hours in a workweek) with the state Dept. of Labor.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The work is paid by the piece (.225 per document), not the hour...How would that affect it?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X