Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oregon - exempt, non-exempt, overtime, travel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon - exempt, non-exempt, overtime, travel?

Hello there,
    So glad to have found this forum.
    I am currently an hourly employee working for a non-profit. I am not paid overtime, but am expected to "get the job done" even if that requires overtime hours (more than 8 hours in a day, occasionally more than 40 hours in a week, though my job is technically three-quarter time). Having been salaried in another state for many years, I'm not familiar with the legalities of this kind of situation.

1. How do I determine if I ought to be exempt in Oregon for the work I'm doing?
    2. As an hourly employee, is my employer obligated to pay me overtime if I work more than 8 hours in one day? Or only if I work more than 40 hours in one week? (our office is open Monday - Friday only)
    3. I occasionally travel as part of my job. What are the guidelines covering my hours during travel? In the past, I've only ever travelled for work when I was an exempt employee. Again, I tend to work more than 8 hours in a day the days that I travel.

Thank you in advance for any input,
    Talulah

Hourly vs. salary are payment methods, not necessarily a determination of whether you get overtime or not. To determine whether you are exempt are not, you need to review the criteria under the Fair Labor Standards Act at http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/ or contact your state department of labor.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Good advice from Marketeer. After you check this out, if you feel that you do not qualify as an exempt employee, feel free to post back regarding the overtime and travel pay requirements.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X