Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mandatory Overtime" = 12 day work week? (Oregon)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mandatory Overtime" = 12 day work week? (Oregon)

I am a full-time employee in a customer service call center in Oregon. This holiday season (Dec. 16th, specifically), my employer (an international business process provider) informed the staff at my location that Dec. 23rd, 24th, 25th, and 26th would be mandatory attendance (to meet service level and contractual obligations). In order to make that happen, Global Management initially stated that "for the weeks of 12/18-12/24 and 12/25-12/31, employees' schedules will be modified to include the mandatory days". With that, the local management created schedules for every employee that included the neccessary days but still ensured two days off during that week. Those schedules were submitted to Global on the 17th, and not even the local Site Manager has been able to confirm whether or not the mass schedule change has been approved.

In my personal case, my schedule is Tues-Sat. That would normally give me the 25th and 26th off. With the mandatory attendance I now find myself working from the 20th through the 31st, 12 days straight. (Heh, 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' just popped into my head...)

In addition to myself, there are approximately 150 other local employees in the same situation, as well as 200 employees who are working ten or eleven days straight. Due to the particulars of scheduling, two of the local managers have wound up with 14 days on in a row (and they're salaried, they don't even get the overtime...)

Not only has this destroyed the holiday plans of hundreds of people, there has been absolutely NO communication from Global Management in regards to the supposed "schedule change" nature of the mandate OR the basement-level-and-dropping level of employee morale. And to rub it all in, despite the fact that my company maintains HUNDREDS of offices and centers throughout all but 3 states (including seven in Oregon alone) and there are six other centers accross the country that handle the same client as mine, my location is the ONLY one affected by this mandatory attendance.

Is there anything in Federal or Oregon Labor Laws that might deal with situations like this?

No, there is not. There is no federal or state law in any state that requires a certain notification of schedule changes, nor a law that prohibits mandatory overtime. Nor does Oregon have a "one day's rest in seven" law.

Unfortunately, it's the nature of call center work.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X