Underage, Required to Work on School Days Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underage, Required to Work on School Days Oregon

I work in Oregon at a chain, and am underage. I'm in a summer school program to finish my diploma. My employer is aware of this, and my school schedule has been blacked out on my availability. However, a newer manager has scheduled me during my school hours and is threatening disciplinary action which could lead to termination. Is this legal? If so, how do I fight this? If I miss my classes, I risk failing and not graduating. Also, I live on my own so losing this job isn't an option.

Unless you are 15 or younger (seems per your post you are older), you can work during school hours under Oregon & federal law.

(only 14 & 15 year olds cannot work during school hours)

If you are over 15, your employer does not have to work around your school hours/schedule. You can only explain the situation & hope they understand. Just because one mgr. let you work around your school schedule, doesn't mean the new mgr. has to.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You might also try talking to your school. They may have evening classes or an online program which would be a better fit for you.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

That's worth a try also. Since you said you are underage, I assume you are talking about your high school diploma. I don't know what they might have available as to evening or internet classes & if you are ever required to work evenings.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Most school systems have a vested interest in getting students to graduation and are willing to work with you to make that happen.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Agree, I should hope so.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X