Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Cell Phone Expense Reimbursement after Termination Oregon

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cell Phone Expense Reimbursement after Termination Oregon


    I resigned from my job in January 2010. During my tenure with the company, I was told to submit my cell phone statements every month to be reimbursed by the company. I never did because I didn't know how. There were people who could have helped me learn I suppose, but I didn't bother asking anyone to show me. My cell phone bills averaged about $60 a month and I knew that my company would reimburse me if I turned in my statements.

    When I resigned, I told the HR person that I wanted to be reimbursed for my cell phone so I gave her my credit card statements and she said that I needed the actual statements from the cell phone carrier in order to be reimbursed. Yesterday, I went back to my previous employer and handed them cell phone statements going back to October 2007.

    I know it's been almost 3 months since I resigned from the company, but I think they should pay my cell phone expenses now even though I didn't turn them in while I was employed.

    Doesn't my previous employer have an obligation under Oregon Labor Law to pay me my cell phone expenses even though they are no longer my employer?

    HELP ME PLEASE! It's about $1,800.00 they owe me.

  • #2
    To the best of my knowledge, the only states where the law requires that your expenses be reimbursed by the employer are California and in some circumstances Massachusetts.

    You didn't turn them in for over two years, by your own words you didn't bother to learn the procedures, but now you want to law to force your employer to reimburse you two years after the fact?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      If I were your employer, the answer would be no, no, and heck no.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      • #4
        My state is not Oregon, so this is going to be a soft answer. Not all law is labor law. I agree with the other answer that to the best of my knowledge, there is no labor law requirement that you be reimbursed for your expenses.

        - You can try politely following up with your former employer. Might work. Might not work. If the former employer has not formally refused, then this is likely your best option.

        - You can try a small claims court action. Might work. Might not work. The fact that the employer has a policy to reimburse these expenses is in your favor. The fact that you went out of your way to not follow the policy while you were working there is not in your favor. Basically you would be playing Wheel of Fortune with the small claims court judge.

        If you are looking for a sure thing, you will likely not find it.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.