This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours cut due to Pregnancy Oregon

I am about 24 weeks pregnant and I have been getting a run around from my managers for months about my hours being cut 2 of them say I don't know and the other one I can't get a hold of half the time. It all started after I told them I was pregnant and half the time I have no hours they have been hiring new employees and giving them 2-4 days a week I was cut back to 1 day because of this after being told when another employee quit that I would be getting alot more hours. That never happened. And now when an employee asked to give me a shift they said they couldn't do this. No one will give me a straight answer and I don't understand how they can really be doing this.

If you believe you are being discriminated against due to your pregnancy, you can file a complaint with the federal EEOC or the Oregon Civil Rights Division. Your employer needs to have 15 or more employees to file with the EEOC but only 1 or more employees to file with the Oregon state agcy. (Oregon Civil Rights Division).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

May I ask what kind of work you do (not the name of your actual employer though). Might you be in a union? Thanks.
      Last edited by Betty3; 11-14-2009, 08:08 PM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I am a server/bartender I was hired on as a bartender just over 2 years ago and back in may they took me out of the bar and put me on the floor as a server. I work for a company that has more than one restaurant they are well known and all over.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Then, if you believe you are being discriminated against due to your pregnancy, refer to my first post (post #2) above.

Comment

Just to be clear, taking an employment action BECAUSE an employee is pregnant probably violates the law. Taking an employment action DESPITE the employee being pregnant generally does not violate the law.

Meaning the "intent" of the action makes a difference, which can be legally tricky.

Past that, an employee is not immune to any and all employment actions because they are pregnant. They just cannot be discriminated against because they are pregnant.

A rather fine line to walk.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X