This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reduction in hours and unemployment benefits Oregon

I work full time at will for slightly more than minimum wage, and I am not a manger. I have been falling behind on my bills for some time. When my savings were nearly gone, I informed my boss that I either needed a raise, or would have to find another job -- whether that meant I would quit entirely or just take a reduction in hours to make time for other employment, I couldn't be sure at the time. He said that I should look for another job, and that he would be interested in me staying on part-time.
    About a month later, I got offered some other part time work. I told boss #1 the next day that in another week, I would have around 20 hours a week elsewhere, that I would schedule things around job #2, that he could expect a small reduction in the time I spend at job #1, and I made some recommendations as to who else could fill in if he needed more work done. Again, he expressed interest in me remaining part-time.
    The day before job #2 started, I informed boss #1 again that I would be working less starting that week. He got very upset and threatened to replace me if I could not get "all my work done."
    I have taken on many responsibilities at job #1 that were not in my original job description. If he fires me for not doing these things, am I eligible for unemployment?

Refusing to perform legal and safe tasks as directed by management can be considered insubordination and I would not count on unemployment if you are fired for that reason.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree. Your boss at job #1 expects you to do what he asks & to get all your work done there. Job #1 is his main concern. It could be considered insubordination if you don't do all the necessary required tasks assigned. It's the state's decision but you may very well be denied unemployment ins. if you are terminated for not doing your assigned tasks/duties.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X