Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

No meal or off the clock break? Oregon

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No meal or off the clock break? Oregon

    I just started a new job. Their policy is that we get a 20-30 min break (which may be split into two breaks). The policy is that the break is paid which means we must be available to help if needed. I'm working 9-10 hour days. I get to sit down once a day for my break. Then about 10 min into my break its interrupted and I am told to come help. I just had a baby and this is killing my back. Is this legal? If not, what should I do? Could anyone tell me what the meal and break policy is for Oregon?
    Last edited by davisbond85; 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM.

  • #2
    Oregeon requires employers to provide a 30 minute meal period, with relief from all duty, for each work period of 6 to 8 hours and a 10 minute rest period for every 4 hours worked. If your employer isn't providing these then file a complaint with your state DOL.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.


    • #3
      Ok that's what I thought. Thanks a lot. Do you (or anyone else) know how I would go about filing a complaint with my state DOL?
      Last edited by davisbond85; 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM.


      • #4
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

        Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.