This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # of Hours scheduled to work Oregon

I just got a new job and my employer has told me my hours for the Friday after Thanksgiving. 4am-11pm, I am not very happy with this. I was also informed that I cannot call in sick or I will get fired. Is this legal? I thought that in Oregon you could only legally be scheduled to work 16 hours straight. If this is true can someone show me a link that proves this. I have looked at the US DOL website and couldn't find anything about the number of hours scheduled. Also if this is not true what should I do?

Oregon's DOL (Dept of Labor) has a good website. Here is a link to FAQs:

http://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/TA/T_FAQ_Taovrtim.shtml

Basically, yes, if you are non-exempt they can work you as many hours as they wish, but they have to pay overtime correctly. If you are exempt, you have to work as many hours as they want you to, but you don't get overtime.

I copied some of the questions & answers here for you:

Q. Is there a maximum number of hours employees can work during a day?
    A. For most adult workers, there are no limits on daily work hours. Theoretically, employers may schedule employees to work seven days a week, 24 hours per day, so long as minimum wage and overtime laws are observed. Manufacturing employees are limited to 13 hours of work in a 24-hour period. There are also daily and weekly limitations on the hours minors (employees under 18) can work. For more information, see the Oregon Wage & Hour Laws handbook.

Q. Can I require employees to work overtime?
    A. Yes. An employer may dictate an employee┬┤s work schedule and hours. Employers may discipline or even terminate employees who refuse to work scheduled overtime. It is advisable to give employees as much advance notice of overtime requirements as practicable.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X