This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer Keeping Tips Oregon

I work at a pizza place and we receive tips from customers on a regular basis, but the owners keep all the tips and we never see them. Is there a law agianst this?

Generally speaking, no.
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs15.htm

Are you a server or driver, i.e. a "regularly and customarily tipped" employee? You are making minimum wage, right? (Oregon does not allow a sub-minimum wage for tipped employees.)
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Employer Keepin Tips Oregom

I work at a take'n bake pizza place and I make pizzas, I also make more then minimum wage.

Comment

You aren't a "regularly and customarily tipped" employee, as I see it. Do these "tips" go in a tip jar? If so, do they get distributed to anyone?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Employer Keeping Tips Oregon

The tips go in a tip jar, but do not get distributed to anyone.

Comment

There is no law I know of that requires tips from a tip jar be distributed to employees. I agree it's unfair and, if customers knew the proceeds of the jar were not be distributed to employees, I doubt they'd throw anything in. Having said that, however, as long as you are making minimum wage, I'm afraid I don't know of any law that the employer is violating. Sorry.

BTW, it's the "customarily" part of the tip jar that is suspect here. Honestly, I don't think I've ever put anything into a tip jar; just a pet peeve of mine.
            Last edited by Pattymd; 10-08-2007, 04:35 AM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X