This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notice of manditory uniform Oregon

how much notice is an employer required to give, if any, that a mandatory uniform is now required?

My employer posted a sign in the break room and the same note in each of our cubby box that indicated we had two weeks to go out and purchase this uniform ourselves. which is fine... but we are paid once a month and we have the following Monday after this paycheck to come back to work in our new outfits. One business day to acquire this outfit. The worst is that my shifts on Fri, Sat., Sun, and Mon., do not allow me to purchase this in time... and i have to wait for this paycheck sine i am living from one paycheck to another.

legally, don't they have to give us a little more notice? a little more time to scrap this all together?

I am not aware of any law that guarantees you a specific time frame. They could have told you that you needed to be in uniform tomorrow and it would be legal.

It would have been nice for them to give you more time but they were not required to.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

So, how long should a new hire have to obtain the uniforms before actually starting work? A month?

Some states do not allow companies to require employees to purchase uniforms for the convenience of the company, but I have no idea where Oregon stands on that issue.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

just need oregon law on the matter...

of course it seem silly to have a new hire wait a whole month before they would be required to purchase the new uniform, but by washington laws, an employer must purchase said uniform if the uniform has been changed anytime in a two year period. this includes changing a brown shirt to grey. And! it doesn't matter if the new hire comes into the buisness after the new uniform was changed 8 months ago... the employer must still buy the uniforms for the two years after the change.

I would like to know any info- a link or something that relates to oregon law on this... since my employer has changed the uniform requirment three times in the last 6 months.

Comment

are we talking about an actual uniform that you must purchase from a single vendor or a dress code that requires you to wear say a white shirt and black pants?

Straight from the BOLI site

Q. Can an employer deduct for the purchase of uniforms or tools?
          A. No. Payroll deductions may not be taken for any item required to perform the job.

Q. Can an employer require employees to purchase uniforms or tools that are required to perform the job?
          A. Minimum wage employees may not be required to purchase these items. The only exception to this rule is the requirement of a "generic uniform" which a minimum wage employee may be required to provide. An example of a generic uniform is a black skirt/pants and white blouse/shirt suitable for street wear. Payroll deductions are not permitted.

Employees who receive more than minimum wage may be required to purchase required items as long as a purchase does not take an employee below minimum wage in the pay period in which it was purchased. Also, the cost of the item may not be averaged over more than one pay period. Again, payroll deductions are not permitted.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

By the way, you are mistaken about the law in Washington but as it isn't relevant, it isn't worth debating.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X