Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

HR Files: Location? Oregon

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HR Files: Location? Oregon


    Business is headquartered in CA, with an office in OR (not set up as a subsidiary or separate entity).

    1) Do the employee files need to be kept in one location, or can the Oregon employee files be kept at the Oregon location? Should copies of the files be made for auditing purposes back in CA?

    Any insight would be appreciated.

  • #2
    This is entirely up to each employer. At one company where I was VP of HR with multiple locations, the employee files were kept at the location at which they worked, under the oversight of the site HR Manager. Whenever I visited each location though, I'd be sure to grab some files at random and do an audit of what they were keeping in personnel files and whether they were being maintained in accordance with our established procedures. Inevitably, they were keeping far more "paper junk" in files than was necessary and I'd train them AGAIN. I think personnel files should be kept at the site at which employees work as on-site HR staff and managers need access to those records such as disciplinary history, peformance appraisals, compensation adjustments, etc.

    It's up to you but I think making copies of the files (and every piece of paper that gets put in there) will result in a huge administrative task, tons of unnecessary paper, and a filing nightmare. If you're really concerned about this, then you can establish e-files for all employees and have site staff create .pdf copies of the files that can be accessed from HQ. That'd be a lot less paper and filing time.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.