This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requiring exempt emps to Make up sick/vacation time"? Oregon

Can employers REQUIRE an (exempt) employee to work overtime to "make up" vacation or sick time? I was in a car accident and took 1.5 days off and I DID use sick days for it. When I returned, I was told that I would have to work the next weekend to make up for it.

The same thing is happening again where I just got back from 2 days of vacation and am being told that I have to work this Labor Day weekend to make it up even thought I took vacation pay for it.

Can I make them give me the sick and vacation days back?

Also, I know that being exempt means having to "work whatever hours it takes to get my job done", however, even though I took time off, I am not behind at all! We are, however, (Permanently) short-staffed, and they want me to do the work of a different position during the overtime, so I'm not even doing MY job.

Thanks.

There is no law that prohibits it.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If you mean that you are making up time for time out of work without any cost to your PTO bank, that would not bother me much.

What I do not understand are the companies that (legally) require PTO for time missed out of "core" hours AND have the employee work extra to "make up" the time. One day, Congress and/or states will figure out that is simply wrong.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X