This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbg View Post
    Stridor, the following states are listed as protecting sexual orientation according to my source. There may yet be more as the prevailing inclination is towards adding protection rather than removing it; there may be states that have added protection since my source was published.

California
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Minnesota
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    Rhode Island
    Vermont
    Wisconsin
    Iowa (effective July 1, 2007), Colorado (effective August 8, 2007), and Oregon (effective January 1, 2008).
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Thanks, mlane, I'll update my information.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Fyi

Plus.....New Jersey just recently expanded its protection of sexual orientation to include Civil Union status. We had to update all our postings and handbook.

Comment

internet profiles

Amrie,

Saw your postings on "internet files" and "tattoos".

First of all don't sweat the person who is bothered by your grammar. I guess she hasn't picked up a newspaper lately and noticed all the errors you will find in there. Sounds like they are having a bad day themselves. It doesn't make you bad person. It sounds to me like you are just wanting to know the "law" which by the way is "legal".

Maybe get a lawyer to look at you policies maybe not. What I can see is that you can let you staff know that they can not display nude and suggestive pictures or comment on any website that is open to the public. For instance if you have a myspace account, that is set to private, no one can pull up your pictures unless they are "allowed" or "invited".

If a person is invited and they pull up the pictures and then give them to you that would at that point become public. So I feel you better be careful who you invite because they could print out whatever want and distribute it at your work, neighborhood.

To me, you don't sound like a bad boss. You sound like any adminstrator in a school setting. You want to make sure you have covered your butt. I am glad my adminstrator covers her butt, because if she didn't and our facility went down there would be a lot of people without jobs. And I need my job.

I saw in the Tattoo thread a person calling you immature. Gosh I sure would love for my boss to give me some money when I was in a financial pinch, or would have gone to the hospital and held my hand when I needed it. That person shouldn't get you down.

The gal is pushing the limits. I have been in Pre-School teaching for many years and women I have found are mean to one another. I don't know if it is because they are around children all day and become silly, but it happens. Write up your policies and review them with the board. I bet they will come out great.

Negativity will only breed negativity. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            In my state sharing such photos with a minor (including inviting them to view a private webpage containing the photos) would be grounds to lose your teaching license. The state views it as no different than handing the kid a Playboy.
            I think it's pretty much like that in every state, and should be. What I was specifically speaking of is where it is posted. At cherrytap, which is the social networking/picture post site that I use, you must be eighteen to have a user account. If you click the box that says, "I am over 18", and you aren't then you have broken the law. I don't have any pictures or stories of the sort that we were talking about but if I did and a minor viewed them then it would be their problem, not mine. My page is password protected, marked both adult and private, and any pictures that I don't want seen are in a private album. If I took every precaution to prevent it and he or she circumvented them, that's not my fault. So really my question still stands. What are your fine, upstanding, moral, righteous clients doing on such a page to begin with?
            Last edited by Stridor; 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM.

Comment

With regards to errors in the newspaper, etc.;

My husband teaches at the college level, and he demands that his students use correct spelling and proper grammar. As is his right, and, as a teacher, his duty.

He frequently notices errors in the crawl on CNN, and sighs that he's probably wasting his time trying to teach proper grammer and spelling, since there are so many examples of the media using both incorrectly.

My point is that just because the media finds it acceptable to use incorrect grammar or spelling, doesn't mean that the rest of us can, or should, relax our standards.

Personally, I don't much care if people use correct spelling or grammar on these posts or not. I'm not the world's best typist and I've been known to have a typo or two on occasion. But I don't find it out of line to expect someone who is responsible for teaching the next generation to provide a good example, either.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agreed.

While the informality of a message board allows for unofficial abbreviations, typos and spelling errors, some grammar & usage problems are really annoying. I can even tolerate "alot" by telling myself the person knew it was supposed to be two words, but they must have been typing too fast.

But,
                When people mix up "there," "their" and "they're"
                When people say "your welcome" or "your very welcome"
                When people mix up possessives and plurals (our employee's are non-exempt)
                I could scream.

I too am appalled by errors I see on TV and in the papers.
                Without a few "grammar police" nagging people once in a while, our English language would devolve into grunts and junk like "Gr8 2 C U." Ugh.

I've wanted to bring this up so many times, so just had to jump in since it was brought up. People don't have to write like they have an MA in English, but they should try to at least appear to have an 8th grade education.

Done my rant. Now back to employees who have nude web-cam shows..........

Comment

before everyone jumps on me....

Of course, errors made by people for whom English is a second language (provided they are actively working to improve their English) are exempt from my above rant.
                  Along with some errors made as a result of reading or writing disorders like dyslexia. (But the especially egregious offenses I noted above are not attributable to such a disorder).

Comment

internet profiles

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                    With regards to errors in the newspaper, etc.;

My husband teaches at the college level, and he demands that his students use correct spelling and proper grammar. As is his right, and, as a teacher, his duty.

He frequently notices errors in the crawl on CNN, and sighs that he's probably wasting his time trying to teach proper grammer and spelling, since there are so many examples of the media using both incorrectly.

My point is that just because the media finds it acceptable to use incorrect grammar or spelling, doesn't mean that the rest of us can, or should, relax our standards.

Personally, I don't much care if people use correct spelling or grammar on these posts or not. I'm not the world's best typist and I've been known to have a typo or two on occasion. But I don't find it out of line to expect someone who is responsible for teaching the next generation to provide a good example, either.
                    I so agree with you. If you are teaching a class and you are using poor grammar or you don't spell correctly, you should receive a tongue lashing. But on a thread like this? I am sure Amrie was just asking questions in a quick type. I don't proof read most things that I post.

Amrie teaches children or used to from one of the posts. She isn't a professor and she is not teaching adults from ages 18 and up.

Posting of this nature should be uplifting. I have noticed her postings after two of you were in my opinion were not very kind.

You posted about her grammar and in my opinion only made her sound like a stupid person. At least she is making sure she knows the labor laws so she is doing the right thing by her employees.

Her postings were about internet profiles, not about her grammar on this site. It is important to me that when I read postings I read them as words and not with vindiction. But that is my opinion on my own. I have been on many a web site that a small question or comment turned into such a mess the moderator has to shut it down. As a matter of fact I believe that happened on one of the threads on this site.

But keep in mind that's what's great about opinions, we all have our own.

Comment

I especially love it when the same poster comes in as a new poster to "take up the cause". I really love it when it happens and that poster thinks no one can see through it. Totally transparent.

For the record even I noticed the grammar and spelling, (and of all the people I know have to be worst at both), but decided after some of the comments this woman made in the tattoo thread to just consider the source. Kudos to you Stridor for pointing it out and even bigger Kudos to those of you who agree that the standard should be much higher for anyone in the education sector.

As far as the immature comment I made, I was refering to the "I'm the boss ha ha ha", comment the OP made. I got an immediate visual of a little brat on a playground sticking her tounge out at other children chanting ha, ha, ha, I'm better than you, ha, ha , ha. My mommy and daddy have more money than you ha, ha, ha. My daddy can beat up your daddy ha, ha, ha. Okay you get the picture.

Most professional educators wouldn't even use this type of language in their own bathrooms, when by ones self. Least of all when refering to her staff and what she has planned for them.

Comment

internet profiles

Funny we at work were thinking that same thing about "stridor". We have looked on this site plenty of times but never posted. Never felt a need or a want.

But we have had a great laugh!!!!!!! Is Amrie the only one who uses ha ha ha ha, LOL, ROF or other lingo on the internet. Tranparent? Is she the only one that uses I am the boss?

I can imagine you as the bully on the playground, saying I am bigger and meaner than you so I can play on the swing without taking turns.

Again these posts are going back to something that no one is asking for. I guess Stridor and you run the site. Which only makes others not to want to "play with you on the playground".

Comment

And since this thread is now WAY off topic, I think we're done here.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X