X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

internet profiles

Originally posted by cbg View Post
    For the record, sexual orientation is protected in 17 states. Oregon, however, is not one of them.

Good to know. However in my business sexual orientation if not an issue as I have child that is gay. I have never had an issue with it, and I am very vocal on that subject.

Again thank you so much for the info.

Comment

That wasn't directed at you, amrie; it was a clarification of Robb's statement that "very few" states offered protection to sexual orientation.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

We also are in the process of deciding if we should draft a policy addressing employees putting improper stuff on the internet.
        We are a large mental health service provider, and we have what we thought was a pretty comprehensive code of ethics that addresses the limits of professional relationships with clients. Whoever anticipated this kind of stuff??
        In our adolescent program, we have some staff in their early 20's and clients in their mid teens who all have pages on the same well-known website.
        We just learned that some staff have posted personal stories about their "partying" experiences, and also some risque photos. If they post these things in a private manner, people can only view them if they are invited "friends." Which would be fine with us, except that we learned that a few employees have put clients on their "friends" lists.
        I found a bunch of articles about people being fired for things they post on this particular website. I have some problem with companies "policing" what people do outside of work, but I really think that if you are a teacher, therapist/Counselor, juvenile corrections officer, you are held to an even higher standard of maintaining professionalism outside of the workplace, since you work directly with children.
        Anyway, we are still kicking this around at my company. We're really stuck on "how would we enforce this?" I'd love to see an example policy on this.

Comment

All I can say is that I feel your pain. Sometimes I do have to wonder how my seemingly well educated and intelligent employees function in daily life.

Yes, we have terminated employees for inappropriate conduct in their personal lives. My case is a little different as there are certain times when by regulation, we have no choice but to terminate, but yes, if the conduct is causing you to lose students, you certainly may terminate.

You may want to talk it over with your legal counsel and perhaps a small severance in exchange for a release of claims would be adviseable just to avoid problems down the road. Even a meritless claim takes time and money to defend.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

internet profiles

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
            We also are in the process of deciding if we should draft a policy addressing employees putting improper stuff on the internet.
            We are a large mental health service provider, and we have what we thought was a pretty comprehensive code of ethics that addresses the limits of professional relationships with clients. Whoever anticipated this kind of stuff??
            In our adolescent program, we have some staff in their early 20's and clients in their mid teens who all have pages on the same well-known website.
            We just learned that some staff have posted personal stories about their "partying" experiences, and also some risque photos. If they post these things in a private manner, people can only view them if they are invited "friends." Which would be fine with us, except that we learned that a few employees have put clients on their "friends" lists.
            I found a bunch of articles about people being fired for things they post on this particular website. I have some problem with companies "policing" what people do outside of work, but I really think that if you are a teacher, therapist/Counselor, juvenile corrections officer, you are held to an even higher standard of maintaining professionalism outside of the workplace, since you work directly with children.
            Anyway, we are still kicking this around at my company. We're really stuck on "how would we enforce this?" I'd love to see an example policy on this.

In my policy it states that if it is brought to my attention, with proof. (by which means a friend or employee bring information that is less than becoming for an employee of our school it will be grounds for termination. This includes nudity, bragging of drunkeness, drug usage, sexual stories, racism of creed, color, religion, sexual orientation etc....

Comment

Amrie, let me advise you to have your policies reviewed by an employment attorney in your state. I had to read this a couple of times before I realized what you were saying, and if your policies are not stated clearly, you can find yourself in trouble.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

CBG, which 17 states protect sexual orientation? On to the second thing, there has been something bugging me about this thread since it's inception. I couldn't really put my finger on it, since there were so many minor annoyances. Like say, my personal time and habits being my own, employers who feel like they own an employee on and off the clock, why another faculty member/student was visiting an obviously adult site with no mention of their morality or standards. I also get the feeling that this could easily be an interpersonal conflict, that ended up as a tattletale episode to get her canned. All in all though, I think the thing that eats my lunch most about this thread is that I have counted numerous spelling and grammar errors from an individual who is a teacher. Not only are they unable to properly spell and use grammar, but they failed to proof read as that would most likely have caught their attention. I.E.
                Okay hear is another something.
                Where was the first something? Also, it is here not hear.
                I have found that common sense is something you are born with, or your not.
                Here you have mistaken the possessive pronoun your, for the contraction you're, this absolutely drives me insane. The last post that you made, well, I am not even going to go into all of the grammar issues. I am just going to say that it sounds to me like anyone with a grudge against some other employee could just wait and bide their time until they get some kind of dirt on them. I might direct you to a previous thread I started for my feelings on this. http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthre...ghlight=stupid
                Last edited by Stridor; 07-09-2007, 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Comment

internet profiles

Originally posted by Stridor View Post
                  CBG, which 17 states protect sexual orientation? On to the second thing, there has been something bugging me about this thread since it's inception. I couldn't really put my finger on it, since there were so many minor annoyances. Like say, my personal time and habits being my own, employers who feel like they own an employee on and off the clock, why another faculty member/student was visiting an obviously adult site with no mention of their morality or standards. I also get the feeling that this could easily be an interpersonal conflict, that ended up as a tattletale episode to get her canned. All in all though, I think the thing that eats my lunch most about this thread is that I have counted numerous spelling and grammar errors from an individual who is a teacher. Not only are they unable to properly spell and use grammar, but they failed to proof read as that would most likely have caught their attention. I.E.
                  Where was the first something? Also, it is here not hear. Here you have mistaken the possessive pronoun your, for the contraction you're, this absolutely drives me insane. The last post that you made, well, I am not even going to go into all of the grammar issues. I am just going to say that it sounds to me like anyone with a grudge against some other employee could just wait and bide their time until they get some kind of dirt on them. I might direct you to a previous thread I started for my feelings on this. http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthre...ghlight=stupid

I apologize for my offensive writing. You are correct I have been proof reading as I felt this forum to one that is of a "loose nature". Meaing that spelling errors would not be a problem etc.. I certainly didn't mean to offend in anyway. I apologize for the grammar errorss that offended. I am typing quickly in between my many duties.

I don't consider it looking for dirt as I don't surf those sites. However I have had clients and staff who have been on particular sites and have seem pictures and statements that I feel could hurt our school.

Our school would not want to employ a person who publicly states they hate certain racial groups. I certainly wouldn't want my child enrolled if I had been made aware his/her teacher was racist or posted nude pictures that my child may come across at some point.

Again I am sorry to have offended. My typing have been thoughts but with little to no emotions attached until the last few. My feelings have been a bit singed but I know I will get over this.

Comment

Grammar/spelling in the classroom and official documents are one thing, quick posts on an internet bulletin board are another. Being dyslexic myself, I can totally relate.

This doesn't sound like an adult website it sounds more like myspace and the like which anyone can view (with certain settings). Kids can and do type their school name into the search feature to find classmates and come up with a page that shows a whole lot more of their teacher than they ever needed to see. Personally, I never felt the need to share such things with the world but there are plenty of folks out there that seem to find stories of their drunken binges or Mardi Gras exploits amusing enough to share with perfect strangers. To me it shows a lack of good judgement. If you really must share with friends, be my guest but at least have the decency to only share with friends and keep it private. In my state sharing such photos with a minor (including inviting them to view a private webpage containing the photos) would be grounds to lose your teaching license. The state views it as no different than handing the kid a Playboy.
                    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

internet profiles

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                      Grammar/spelling in the classroom and official documents are one thing, quick posts on an internet bulletin board are another. Being dyslexic myself, I can totally relate.

This doesn't sound like an adult website it sounds more like myspace and the like which anyone can view (with certain settings). Kids can and do type their school name into the search feature to find classmates and come up with a page that shows a whole lot more of their teacher than they ever needed to see. Personally, I never felt the need to share such things with the world but there are plenty of folks out there that seem to find stories of their drunken binges or Mardi Gras exploits amusing enough to share with perfect strangers. To me it shows a lack of good judgement. If you really must share with friends, be my guest but at least have the decency to only share with friends and keep it private. In my state sharing such photos with a minor (including inviting them to view a private webpage containing the photos) would be grounds to lose your teaching license. The state views it as no different than handing the kid a Playboy.

ELLENMD!!!!!! Thank you so much. I am too dyslexic!!!!! It has always been a struggle for me. Than you for your post there for a minute I wasn't sure if I needed to get a helmet. ha ha ha ha

Comment

internet profiles

Amrie, let me advise you to have your policies reviewed by an employment attorney in your state. I had to read this a couple of times before I realized what you were saying, and if your policies are not stated clearly, you can find yourself in trouble.

That is not my policy's actual statement. It is a generalization. My board and I are "working" on our policies and they will not be ready to distribute until late August.

I will find the words that will state employees who use the internet in a public forum, will be requested to refrain from:
                        online nudity in public forum
                        online racism in public forum
                        (racism could be religious, sexual orientation, etc.....)

If any content is brought to the schools attention, such as a parent bringing in a nude picture on an open forum site, this would be grounds for dismissal.

I am typing fast and maybe I am not explaining my thoughts well enough.

Comment

Stridor, the following states are listed as protecting sexual orientation according to my source. There may yet be more as the prevailing inclination is towards adding protection rather than removing it; there may be states that have added protection since my source was published.

California
                          Connecticut
                          District of Columbia
                          Hawaii
                          Illinois
                          Maine
                          Maryland
                          Massachusetts
                          Minnesota
                          Nevada
                          New Hampshire
                          New Jersey
                          New Mexico
                          New York
                          Rhode Island
                          Vermont
                          Wisconsin

Comment

Amrie, nonetheless my advice stands. I'm an experienced HR professional who writes handbooks for a living, and even I would want to have any new handbooks I created reviewed by an attorney. If you're not familiar with employment law, and you have admitted you are not, providing "bulletproof" policies is not a DIY project.

Comment

internet profiles

Amrie, nonetheless my advice stands. I'm an experienced HR professional who writes handbooks for a living, and even I would want to have any new handbooks I created reviewed by an attorney. If you're not familiar with employment law, and you have admitted you are not, providing "bulletproof" policies is not a DIY project.
                              All advice, as I have mentioned before is very much appreciated. So we will certainly use our next option and talk with an attorney.
                              I, in error thought this site would really be the place to go for employment questions. I do realize that the people who have posted are not lawyers. I did however assume, (which I should not have done) that this information is the actual labor law information by professionals versus an open forum to discuss labor laws.

This is not a slam and is not being typed with anger or malice or any other emotion.

I feel I was a bit blasted because my typed statements from some "posters" seem to think I am typing in a tone that may appear that I am looking to be unfair and unreasonable. I am actually just a person looking to know more about labor laws and their definitions.

I don't do a lot of posting. As a matter of fact this is only the second website I have every used.

Thanks for the info you have provided

Comment

If what you are looking for is a place to get general information about employment laws, you're in the right place.

If you are looking for specific legal advice, you are not.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X