This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos Oregon

I am a person that has no issues with tattoos as long as they are not offensive nor distracting.

My personal feeling is that large tattoos on the hands are distracting. I have no policy regarding tatoos as I don't know if that is legal. I work in a private school with over 100 children. Children ask a lot of questions etc..

A certain employee has now gone on what I would call a tattoo spree. After her employment she got a tatoo on her hand. I was unaware she had one on her leg because she wore pants. The other day she wore shorts and I noticed the one on her leg and she was busy showing other staff the new tattoos that run from her foot up to her leg.

I feel this tattoo has gotten out of control and she will only continue to add more on his body.

Can I have a tatoo policy??

Tattoos are not protected by law so if you want to have a policy prohibiting or limiting them, you may. If it is just one person who is causing a problem, you'd be better off to just deal with that then try and create a whole policy. She's going to know the policy is for her anyway.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Can I have a tatoo policy?? Sure. You can prohibit them altogether, you can require that they be covered up while at work, you can limit the number of visible tatoos and what sort they can be... Are you envisioning a 50-page tatoo policy already? Unless you want to prohibit visible tatoos altogether (which some employers do), then you may want to just deal with this one-on-one. I suggest you tell this employee that you're ok with the one on her hand but any other tatoos must be covered up. In other words, shorts and skirts are no longer an option for her at work unless she puts on body makeup to cover them up.

And when she has a fit and tells you this is illegal and you're discriminating against her, tell her that an employer setting a "dress code" inclusive of prohibiting/limiting tatoos and piercings is perfectly legal but that you'll revisit the policy as soon as she brings you a copy of the relevant law demonstrating that your policy is prohibited.

Comment

tattos

I feel that I can't deal with this gal one on one. She is a person who feel that the entire owes her first and so if someone gets 1 thing then it is her right to have 2. She will follow policies if they are descriptive but she will play the ignorant card if they are not spelled out at first. She has really offended my other staff members because this was a verbal policy that they all knew prior to being hired. I have 4 other staff members with tatoos but they are not visible unless they were an outfit that is against policies. Scrb uniforms are required.

Thanks for the info I so use this site for much needed information

Comment

tattos

Don't get me wrong I personally find tattos to be very amazing, however this particular gals tattos have become distracting. The are very visible and large they are not tatoos that could be covered up nor could you wear an outfit during teaching that would cover it up. She does not have tenure as we do not offer tenure. At the present time all of her tattoos that she has received in the last year are all very visible. She has had a life change and now she wants to be noticed. And it is apparent to the staff, children, clients etc... So the tattoos we all see as another attention getter. Sadly it is not positive attention because of the size. The designs are attractive but they are HUGE.

Comment

Originally posted by joec
            Women teachers with tatoos! What is the world coming to? Does she have tenure?
            JoeC
            What exactly does the wrongful termination act actually state? Could you explain or send me in the right direction to research it. In Oregon I beleive it is an at will State. I am not looking for a reason to fire this gal she is always bending the rules. The other day I had to let her know it was against policy to wear a certain type of shirt. That all shirts must be no less than sleeveless, tank tops, halter tops, tube tops etc.. are NEVER ALLOWED. And she has worked there long enough to know that, but the life change has her bending all of the rules. I look at my policies and I want to make darn sure they can not be read any differently.

Comment

Joe's signature on wrongful termination does not necessarily apply to each and every post he responds to. It's his signature, that's all, which show up on all his posts.

The only way a wrongful term could possibly come into this would be if her tattoos had a religious connotation AND you were made aware of this AND you refused to consider any accomodations such as covering them.

If this girl has a documented history of pushing the envelope where it comes to the dress code you are well within your rights to discipline, including term, unless she is operating under a contract that specifically limits your rights to do so.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                Joe's signature on wrongful termination does not necessarily apply to each and every post he responds to. It's his signature, that's all, which show up on all his posts.

The only way a wrongful term could possibly come into this would be if her tattoos had a religious connotation AND you were made aware of this AND you refused to consider any accomodations such as covering them.

If this girl has a documented history of pushing the envelope where it comes to the dress code you are well within your rights to discipline, including term, unless she is operating under a contract that specifically limits your rights to do so.
                I don't have a tatto policy so I do need to add one which I feel I won't do a tatoo policy as much as temporary and permanent body art which could include henna. I love henna and I would love to have it put on my palms but I know since I also teach this would be distracting to the children, so I have not ever used where it may be visible. Using Henna is a spiritual aspect for me. I understand tatoos can be kind of the same. But the classroom has been out of control with the kids "Look at her giant Tatoo!!!" "Oh man that is huge" "Did it hurt" etc........ So class has not been the same with the many out bursts which she seems to love because of the attention.

Each time I am on here you guys give me plenty to think about. I am a very fair boss. Sometimes I am toooooooooooooooooooooooo fair and can be lenient. But because of this staff member she has really ruined things for the other staff. So their will be less leninency from now on. Which is sad. This gal will research and see if our info is right.

So I am very careful to be sure all that I do is legal

Comment

There is nothing anywhere that states you can't have a policy just for her.

Take her into your office and explain that her tats are a distraction and you want them covered up. Period.

If she gives you flack, say "May I then assume you will not be covering them up in answer to this policy?"

If she says no, term her. Right then. This is a bigger issue than the tats, apparently.

She is allowed to think it is unfair. She is allowed to think you are singling her out. She is not allowed to come to work with the tattoos showing.

You are perfectly allowed to have a policy that covers a particular set of circumstances required by a specific employee's actions.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

tattoos

Oregon law suprises. I always consider myself as being fair no matter what. Being on this site has shown that being the boss is just that being the boss.

I will take this into consideration of giving a policy just to her. Because she I am sure will take it to the next extreme.

Thank you all for such excellent responses to my questions

Comment

Aside from the tats and your aversion to this "gals life's changes" what is her over all job performance? Does she have happy, well behaved, and well educated students leaving her classroom each day? Does she receive compliments or complaints from the parents? Does she create problems with other staff members, like is she gossipy, or hateful towards her colleagues? Does she have the kind of personality that she assumes things that may or may not have a foundation for assumptions?

Okay you say she dosen't have tenure but does she have an employment contract? If not and given that you are in an "at will state" why don't you just go ahead and do what cyjeff suggested? Seems like you are bothered to no end with this "gal". Would your world not be a much better place if you didn't have to be concerned with her "life changes" and what you see as poor behaviors? Probably being doing both of you a favor to just go ahead and fire her.

Comment

Personally, I don't understand what possesses a human being to have needles jabbed into them repeatedly with dye that will never ever go away but there is no accounting for personal taste I suppose. My goal in life is to have as few needles come near me as possible. That said, I deal with a lot of teachers and they are humans just like anyone else and just as entitled to "decorate" themselves should they decide they just can't live with themselves unless their skin is unnaturally colored or in need of enhancements. Unless it is causing a problem in the classroom, I let it go. I don't buy the argument that they have to set an example of wholesomeness or anything like that. I'll hold all my teachers to the Pollyanna standard when the parents do the same.

If it is causing a problem in the classroom, you have no other need to address it beyond that. There are fair bosses and there are those that will do anything to avoid conflict or having to address the issues. This is one of those times you need to deal with the situation and creating a policy to hide behind isn't going to cut it. You need to tell this woman on no uncertain terms that she must cover the tattoo (or whatever you decide to make her do) and it is not an option. If she did something else that caused an uproar with the kids would you create a policy that stated it was acceptable first? Why treat this differently?
                        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Tattoos

This gal is not a happy gal. She takes twice as long to do a task but always has an excuse. I was a teacher as well as the administrator. I have decided since my business has grown, I need to only administor.

This gal will take a very long time with every task, she has gone from 400 pounds to 130 and she moves as if she is over 400 pounds. When she was large she could move quickly and multi task, now she seems to look for the easy way out and to like I have said before push the envelope.

I have prided myself for the past 10 years that I have never paid unemployment because I have always gone above and beyond the call of duty to be an employer that listens, understand and considers all points of view. After 10 years I have found that their are 50 millions points of views however when push comes to shove and people call in sick, don't prepare for class, have angry clients, I am the one that has to clear the air with clients to insure my income and reputation not to mention the income and reputation of my staff.

She is just enough of an irritant that she is always on the line or steps over the line by just a little, but enough to change the routine of the entire day. When I talk to her about it she acts like the victim.

I have always been easy going but I feel the time has come to take the bull by the horns and be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by BnThrDnTht View Post
                            Aside from the tats and your aversion to this "gals life's changes" what is her over all job performance? Does she have happy, well behaved, and well educated students leaving her classroom each day? Does she receive compliments or complaints from the parents? Does she create problems with other staff members, like is she gossipy, or hateful towards her colleagues? Does she have the kind of personality that she assumes things that may or may not have a foundation for assumptions?

Okay you say she dosen't have tenure but does she have an employment contract? If not and given that you are in an "at will state" why don't you just go ahead and do what cyjeff suggested? Seems like you are bothered to no end with this "gal". Would your world not be a much better place if you didn't have to be concerned with her "life changes" and what you see as poor behaviors? Probably being doing both of you a favor to just go ahead and fire her.

I can't help but notice her life changes because she makes them a part of everyones day. Her personality used to be kind prior to her life change but now she is very unkind and I guess the word would be hateful. She complains about every staff member yet they all say the same about her. Each incident is reverse for each staff member. I have a surveilance tape and I now view it everyday ( it was out of service for 30 days) and I see she moves like a snail and she is truly not kind. I am returning to work on a full time basis versus part time to deal with this matter.

You see when the cats away the mice will play. So when I am present, things get done and done well. The minute I leave the building, she sits on her butt and does very little, but the next day she has plenty to complain about regarding ALL of the other staff.

I now have an assistant to watch over when I am not present. I have 3 small children who also need my time as one is disabled so I went tot part time for about 2 months and things have gone to he-- with this gal.

I plan on firing her, but I want to make sure I am being fair not to mention legal.

Thanks for the support because I am well known for being the good guy, and I feel I need to put the good guy to rest and bring out the boss!!!!

Comment

Whoooah, hold the phone a minute. What caused this extreme weight loss? Did she have a gastric bypass, find a miracle diet, go through a divorce, loose a child, or was she treated for some form of cancer? You have avoided answering several point blank questions that I ask earlier but you continue to offer evasive information about her "life changes". So what caused her 270 weight loss? If she was/is ill, and even sometimes with weight loss surgery, she most likely is fatigued. Now you have the advantage of knowing her and we don't but if she was previously a happy, energetic, multi-tasking, and dependable employee before her "life changes" what happened? What was her "life changing event"? It really might matter and it might make a difference as to your claim to no unemployment benefits every being paid should you go ahead and fire her.
                              Last edited by BnThrDnTht; 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X