This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workplace troubles Oregon

I am not sure if I am in the right place, but hopefully, someone can help or refer me to another location.
    I am a teacher in a small district. Recently one of our school buildings was closed and our elementary students are being moved to the junior high building. (Junior high students are being bussed to a new location) We have been forced to pack up and move our classrooms to new rooms that are not designed for small children. For example, the home ec room is now a first grade classroom. The science room is kindergarten...although the maintenance department has done minimal work in the rooms, teachers have been required to do the moving in most cases. In others, our one and only maintenance person has had to move classrooms without any assistance. We were also informed that painting and other modifications (removing cabinets) would need to be completed by the teachers. Is this practice legal? Many of us feel as if the school board and administration are trying to put us "in our place" because we disagreed with the decision to close our school.
    We are not the only elementary building in our district, but we seem to be receiving the least assistance. Our teachers belong to OEA/NEA.

It does not violate any laws. As far as the law is concerned, an employee can be asked to take on any duties the employer wants them to as long as the duties themselves are legal and the conditions are safe by OSHA standards.

However, you might look to your CBA to see if such non-teaching duties are permitted under your contract.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Most bargaining unit members have very detailed job descriptions. Do you have one? If so, what, if any, language does the job description contain regarding building maintenance?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X