Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Oregon frequently arbitrarily transferring an employee

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oregon frequently arbitrarily transferring an employee

    My question pertains to a scenario where an individual is being frequently transferred within an agency to various locations and fullfilling roles outside of their initial purpose for hire on with the agency. This individual started out providing case management in a scoial service setting and has been transferred to unassociated roles several times since this initial position to locations that have required a substantial increase in fuel costs, childcare related difficulties, and varying worl schedules. Question, is this agency within their legal rights to place an employee in this situation to avoid placing them on lay off status which would require them to allow this individual access to unempployment benefits? Does this individual have any recourse other than resigning and not recieving unemployment benefits? ANy suggestions, comments, and/or feedback?
    Thank you for your time and attention to this question-

  • #2
    Barring a bona fide contract that specifies otherwise, the employer may transfer the employee as many times and to whatever duties the employer chooses to. The employee has the right to find other employment if she is unhappy with the situation.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.