This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cash drawer shortage: payback? Ohio

I work for a national hotel chain that is independantly owned and operated, as a front desk clerk. My drawer was short $2.00. My boss informed me that I had to pay the drawer back no matter what the shortage was. I make min wage, $7.25hr and work 40 hrs weekly. He said it was the law anywhere i would work, not just there. Is he correct? i have worked as a cashier before at gas stations and ski lodges and had shortages of up to $100.00 and not a word was said. He also makes us clock out at exactly 3pm even if our relief is not there and we still have to work. he said everyone else does it to benefit the company. Am I being a troublesome employee? And Could you direct me to a website that could help. P.S. I am not a prejudice person at all but i will NEVER work for an Asian Indian again! no benefits, overtime, vacation, sick days, insurance, breaks, nada because they're cheap! yes I am angry. I don"t mean to offend anyone. i'm frustrated and truly sorry if i did. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Federal law will not allow reimbursement to an employer that will take the
    employee below the required minimum wage or overtime compensation.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf

You also must be paid for all time/hrs. worked & OT if you work over 40 hrs.
    in the workweek.

It seems you are an hourly non-exempt employee - therefore, the above applies.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I doubt $2.00 takes him below minimum wage unless it was typo
      http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
        I doubt $2.00 takes him below minimum wage unless it was typo
        It does if the employee makes only minimum wage, which the poster does.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

By the way why are you having so many shortages? This seems odd as your post describes "other shortages" ar previous employers

Comment

The min. wage in Ohio is $7.30 with some exceptions - see links below. The 2nd link tells you about filing a wage claim.

http://www.com.ohio.gov/laws/docs/la...inimumWage.pdf

http://www.workplacefairness.org:80/...m-OH?agree=yes

It also seems you are not being pd. for all time worked if you have to clock out
            at 3:00 & work beyond then.
            Last edited by Betty3; 08-07-2010, 04:20 PM. Reason: add info
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If seeking him to repay $2.00 takes him under min wage and employer wants his/her money back he (the employer) could file theft charges or fire him for theft making UI claim impossible. I don't see how OP cannot afford to repay 2 bucks! I also wonder why he has a habit of shortages? Maybe its the Loss Prevention in me but I have to wonder

Comment

Could he file a police report for theft? Sure. Would the police laugh him out of the building for $2.00? I certainly hope so. And what proof does the employer have that it was theft and not just an honest mistake making change? Does anyone else has access to the cash drawer besides the OP?

I'm guessing that $2.00 means a lot more to someone making minimum wage that is does to an owner of a business.

And merely filing a police report is not automatically going to cause the state to deny unemployment benefits.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Patty I agree but what alarms me as a former investigator of internal theft is there seems to be a history of such "mistakes". Granted the current employer may not know this. There also might be other shortages that cannot be tied directly to OP that the employer has suspected OP. I can tell you that when I had reason to believe an employee was stealing but only thing I had was small I went for it just to hopefull stop the action or terminate the employee. Now if OP had not mentioned a history of shortages I would have likely responded differently.

Comment

It seems kind of unusual that OP would only take $2.00 if done on purpose but
                    I guess you never know. I doubt employer, as Patty said, would file police
                    charges if OP didn't pay.

Comment

True but the threat of such action can provoke the desired reaction. Example I had an employee who was stealing "big time" however due to really poor tactics from previous investigator they were unable to pin the crimes on her even though everyone knew she was doing it. Rather than risk losing thousands more I came up with a plan the made her decide to quit. it didnt recoup what we lost but it did stop the bleeding. This might be similar

Comment

Possible. We just don't know.

It seems the employer may have some pay violations himself. (& offers no
                        benefits to employees not that he has to)

Comment

morgan314, my last reply before this one was to panther - not you. You & I were typing at the same time but you got your reply off first.

I, for one, never called you a he but called you OP (original poster).

File a wage claim per link I provided if you are not being paid correctly.

P.S. I understand you're upset but you should still watch your language.
                          Last edited by Betty3; 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM. Reason: add PS

Comment

One more thing

No wonder mr. panther PI is a FORMER investigator, he cant tell his *** from a hole in the ground. sorry patty. you were nice and not judgemental. u really tried to help and thank you. but that panther guy just expects the worst from everyone. why would i ask advice if im stealing money. get a clue!

Comment

oops

i meant betty not patty. thank you betty. you were the nice one

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X