Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Unemployment snafu; legal recourse? North Dakota

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unemployment snafu; legal recourse? North Dakota

    My girlfriend used to do broadway tours. When between tours, it's common practice for many tour employees file for unemployment until the next tour starts. So in the spring of 2010, she filed for unemployment with North Dakota. Shortly thereafter, she called them and they told her she had an 'invalid' application and that her claim had been 'terminated'. So she filed with the state of New York, who she was still able to claim unemployment from. She received unemployment from NY off and on for about eight months.
    After her NY benefits had run out, suddenly she got a lump sum of money deposited in her bank account from ND unemployment. She tried to find out why it happened, and they said it was for 'benefits she had qualified for through the year.' She tried to give it back, but couldn't get ahold of anyone from the UI office in ND. Now, at the end of June, she got notices from both NY and ND, demanding all of the money back. Apparently, the ND UI office told NY that she had an open UI claim in ND at the same time as the one in NY (which to the best of our knowledge was absolutely NOT true), so NY found her guilty of 'intentionally lying' about this. Now BOTH states want all the money back in 30 days.
    This issue was not her fault at all, yet she now has to repay thousands of dollars that she doesn't have (she hasn't toured since last year). Is there any legal recourse since nobody is listening to her say that she didn't knowingly have two open claims?
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.