This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied pto for medical appt? North Carolina

I have PTO (sick leave) and vacation and requested with a two week advanced notice, and day off for a Doc. appt to have meds. re-prescribed..ect and my Employer has denied me time off??
    Am I somehow covered under FMLA. Or do I just let my meds. expire with out refills, and put my personal health at risk.
    Some are anti depress. meds.

Generally, a one day's absence for a doctor's appointment is not going to meet the criteria for an FMLA-qualifying position.
    http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/fmla/shc.asp

Does the appointment take all day? Does your doctor have evening, early, or Saturday hours? Could you take an extended lunch period?

Having said this, however, it seems very petty of the employer to deny you this time off unless there are other circumstances you haven't shared. What is their reasoning? After all, that's what PTO is for.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 06-29-2008, 12:29 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I travel, basicly every week somewhere. The reason was I am scheduled to be at a customer. But I'm always scheduled somewhere. I have put off doc. appts. ect untill I have no choice to stop med's for BP, high col..anti dep. My curreny trip I had to request from my doc. a small supply untill I could get back. And they were firm on saying I need to make an appt before any refills.
      But here's the thing I dont feel like I should have to explan all this to my Co.
      With my travel's I cant take care of this before or after work or during lunch.
      Was just wondering the legal issue.....

Comment

I road-warriored for 5 years. Can you work out with the client to work, say, Monday-Thursday, little longer hours, and go on Friday? I used to do that.

Did you read the link about "serious medical condition" I provided? Does your condition meet that criteria? Then we'll go from there.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Techguy View Post
          I have put off doc. appts. ect untill I have no choice to stop med's for BP, high col..anti dep. My curreny trip I had to request from my doc. a small supply untill I could get back. And they were firm on saying I need to make an appt before any refills.
          But here's the thing I dont feel like I should have to explan all this to my Co.
          Are you saying you didn't tell your employer you need time off to get necessary refills of medicines? (You noted you don't feel like you should have to explain all this to your co.) What did you tell them when you asked for time off? Maybe if you did explain to them why the time off is needed, they will try to work with you on this.

We still need the answer to Patty's question. Thanks.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It’s not a life threatening condition, and I did convey it was to refill med's but I didn’t got into details of what meds. I have been under a doctor’s care for Anti depression med's for some time, its also Blood psi. ect type med's.
            Not really a huge deal I'm beginning to see the light, the company I work for isn’t concerned about their employees well being. The owner I don’t think is aware of what goes on, he is a great person but try’s to stay out of the stink if you know what I mean....looks like time for change....uh not Obama.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X