Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Legally Can An Employer Hold Your 401k Contribution Prior to Wiring The Cash

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Legally Can An Employer Hold Your 401k Contribution Prior to Wiring The Cash

I believe my wife to be a victim of fraud on the part of her employer. Her company has been through difficult times lately. My wife who is very careless and does not review her 401k plan frequently has been making contributions all year totalling in excess of 3k.

We found that ALL of her contributions this year have not found their way to her 401k. It is over 4 months obviously.

Questions:

1) What are the rules? I have read in the past that the employer cannot hold longer than 1 month
    2) What recourse do we have? Who can we contact in NYS government to complain.

The law says a "reasonable" time, which has generally been interpreted to be no longer than 15 days following the end of the month in which the contributions were deducted. 401(k)s are regulated by the federal Dept. of Labor, not state governments, under ERISA. The federal DOL is who(m) she would file the complaint with.
    http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/erisa_enforcement.html
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X