This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress

I have worked for my company for eight years now as an account executive. in New York City About five years a go I was diagnosed with failing kidneys my kidney function was 4.0 a normal level is between .5 and 1.5 I was out of work for several months searching out a treatment to lower my creatinine with high doses of steroids (predisone) and medications to control my blood pressure I kept it down at 2.0 to 2.5 that’s good considering I was on my was to a life of dialysis. Fast forward to 2006 my kidney function is rising as of my last lab work it is 3.7 I have to keep my stress level and blood pressure down my problem is my employer as I mentioned I am in sales the owner of this company has other businesses and he is letting the sales end of the business fall apart this is what is causing me great stress. For about two years he is not paying his vendors I am producing but I can’t deliver it just a very vicious circle all the lying I am doing to my customers is causing me a lot of tension. I am now taking Paxel to try to keep from breaking down I’m back on the high doses of predisone and I am having a very hard time dealing with all the stress & pressure at work. I was able to work and produce even with my medical condition a few years back but that was because my bosses business was thriving now I feel like I’m carry a ton of bricks on my shoulders. My Dr. keeps warning about my blood pressure being so high I don’t know what to do I can’t look for a new job now with my condition even the thought of starting all over again feeling the way I do makes me even more anxious. So I guess my question to you is, is there a way I can take some sort of disability until I can work with my doctors to try to heal myself I just can’t take off without any income the Dr bills in a month would wipe me out I just need to get my kidney to a somewhat normal function before I lose them totality I’m 50 years old and I am not ready for a life hooked up to a dialysis machine.
    Thank you.

You are in luck. There are only five states where disability benefits are mandatory, but NY is one of them.

You will need to speak with your employer (HR perhaps?) or the state workers comp division (which administrates the state disability plan) for details.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X