This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Performance w/ Depression

Is there a law that states an employee must make reasonable accomodations for an employee with a disability (depression)? For example, I work in sales and since my diagnosis, my sales have slipped and my performance is not as great. I am looking to change positions within the company (sales assistant) where the position won't be as stressful or give me as much anxiety. Is this an unreasonable request and could that be considered a reasonable accomodation? I am apprehensive to ask HR and wondering what the best approach to take? Thanks for any info!

P.S. Can I be fired for poor performance even though I have a disability and my employer is aware of my depression?

First you need to speak with your HR department about your condition, request an accomodation (doesn't mean they have to or are going to)

Second, in order for your request to be reasonable, there has to be an open position and you have to be qualified for that position. Just because you may have a disability under the ADA, you still have to be able to perform the essential functions of your job and if you can't perform to those essential functions then yes they can terminate you for performance. Your physician is going to have to provide information to your HR staff and also give them a recommendation for an accomodation, if they feel there is one (It may not be what you want) so that HR can determine whether they can make a reasonable accomodation or not.

But if you are not willing to disclose your condition to HR or your managment, how is anyone going to be able to assist you?
    Last edited by mlane58; 04-06-2006, 01:29 PM.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Thanks you for your help!

Comment

You're welcome and good luck!
        Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X